advice: 6L6 hextet for SUper Twin head for bass guitar - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th December 2012, 03:05 PM   #11
GeorgK is offline GeorgK  Austria
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMFahey View Post
What's wrong with actual measuring vs. guessing?
Nothing, for some reason I was assuming that cyclecamper has no scope + dummy load.
Old 16th December 2012, 03:50 PM   #12
Banned

Even if does not own them its ok Its more than likely biased on the colder side anyways just plug em in the right sockets fire it up and watch em match sure there is no obvious red-plating or other bad noises etc if you notice anything odd shut her down quickly lol
Old 16th December 2012, 03:54 PM   #13
Banned

if some damage occurred in the tubes, drifting apart too much etc you will notice it, and low end is gonna suffer etc you should have some massive low end obviously, if the tubes have weakened its gonna sound weak etc
Old 16th December 2012, 04:01 PM   #14
Banned

If you hear any crackling/popping/pinging etc shut it down lol but if those tubes didn't get stressed too bad and hopefully they still draw the right amount of current and at least kinda matched etc should be ok its hard telling if the previous owner cranked it up like that....? lol
Old 16th December 2012, 04:06 PM   #15
Banned

well if he did crank it up like that hope he at least had proper impedance match with whatever cab he was running.
Old 16th December 2012, 04:14 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

I do have a dummy load but sold my oscilloscope, still saving for a better one. I'm surprised to hear so much bashing of the Ruby-labelled JJ's. I thought the JJ's were pretty much the standard for "new" tubes to put in old Fenders now, and what Peaveys come with (some Fenders too??) now. As long as the voltage & current divides reasonably between them and they have similar power I'm OK with it. I really need a 'scope.
Old 16th December 2012, 05:07 PM   #17
GeorgK is offline GeorgK  Austria
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclecamper View Post
I'm surprised to hear so much bashing of the Ruby-labelled JJ's.
Mine were not Ruby, could be that they do a better selection process. Would be interesting how many have to be thrown away when selecting carefully. I do not think that the chineses ones are better per se, it's obviously just a matter of how many the supplier was willing to put in the can.

You can do rudimentary "matching" with the pot by adjusting it to minimal residual hum. Master Volume has to be at zero for this. Works fine if not any of the 6 is significantly out ouf spec.
Old 16th December 2012, 05:21 PM   #18
Banned

the ruby JJs I have seen and heard red-plate randomly and many dead out of the box etc and other drifting apart way too much early on, almost seems you will have better luck with the Chinese.
Old 16th December 2012, 05:25 PM   #19
Banned

In my opinion get some SED/Svetlana's I have hardly seen any problems with those and they sound good to my ears and seem to hold up for awhile at least. If I had a 6l6 amp again I would put them in it in a heart beat lol or the tungsols or if I was rich RCA blackplates lol
Old 16th December 2012, 05:27 PM   #20
Banned

SED "Winged C" 6L6GC - Upscale Audio

These right here lol

Hide this!Advertise here!