Bass preamp: non-inverting an inverting tone stack (opamp)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi!

I'm building a bass preamp (not my first). I'm using a three band active baxandall tonestack found in the LF353 datasheet (I'm using OPA2134 however).

If I'm not completely lost, this tonestack produces an inverted signal, and would need to be re-inverted. Right? So I plan to put an inverting gain stage after it, and then use the remaining opamp section as an output buffer. Does this seem at all sensible to you?

re-inverted_tonestack.png

The signal will be inverted, no doubt, but it usually does not matter.
Even if you use a direct box, it will go to the PA, away from the stage.
In fact many amps invert at random, sometimes even in the same amp (as in Fender Twins) where if you jumper both channels, you lose signal big way, because they go to the same power amp and speaker (not your case).
And if you join many amps on stage, you'll typically chain drive them from your main preamp out to all other power amps, which *usually* (95% of them), are non inverting.
But anyway we are talking about a single op amp stage, so go ahead if you wish, and add a "phase" switch, to select taking signal before or after it.
Most PA and recording mixers have that available.
It might be useful in some situation if, say, you drive 2 amps, straight at their inputs, from, say, some Bass effects processor.

You have to be carefull in musical instrument amps when using non-inverting stages like the first stage in your schematic. If the input goes below about -12V, the output of that stage will slam the positive rail because the input common mode range has been exceeded. It's better to use an inverting stage there (noise may be higher), even better to add anti-parallel diodes at the summing junction to ground. This is why many opamp circuits have a reputation of sounding bad.

Did I understand you correctly, something like this? (I'm thinking the gain pot should be reverse log in this case.)

This would be a neat solution (if it's plausible), I'm a bit worried about input impedance though.

tonestack_inverting_buffer.png

BTW: feel free to stop answering when you grow tired of my questions :)

Search for a bass pream specific schematic.
The one in the datasheet is fine ... for a Hi Fi preamp, with +/-15V rails, driven from a low impedance, etc.
You need high input impedance to properly load your pickups (the 470K suggested above instead of 10 K is fine) and running out of a 9V battery is more practical in that situation.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.