got a 3rd head... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th November 2012, 06:17 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default got a 3rd head...

Picked up a third head. This is a single-ended class-A champ kit somebody else already assembled. Price is right as long as the tubes are still good. Looks like about 5 watts. I think it's only got a volume control. 2 audio signal tubes and a tube rectifier.

There are some champ kits with parallel single-ended class-A outputs, which look really interesting.

This should be fun. I'll have to decide on a speaker and make a cabinet. This project might sit on a shelf for a while, or I might run it as-is.

I wish I could figure out how to make a nice faceplate for it.
Old 27th November 2012, 03:51 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I've got a single ended project in mind also, and I'm planning to use a 12" speaker to for a few reasons, mainly to allow for more options as 12's are the most popular size. Also I don't want to sacrifice bass, even though it will be a relatively low power single ended amp. I would recommend a 10" or 12" speaker instead of the typical 8" found in the Champ-Amp.
Old 28th November 2012, 06:16 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclecamper View Post
I wish I could figure out how to make a nice faceplate for it.
I'd love to see what you come up with for a DIY solution. I'm lazy, I just use Front Panel Express. I've had these guys recommended to me a few times too: Amplates.com Custom faceplates, nameplates and grille cloth for guitar amps .
Old 28th November 2012, 08:30 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Agreed about the 12, though I was thinking of 2 10's
Old 28th November 2012, 08:32 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

For the panels, I found Laser cutting and etching service - Specializes in customized products, including control panels, nameplates, and logo tags - Precision Design - welcome but custom stuff ain't cheap.

I'll check out amplates.com for sure!

I was lucky to find a new Fender faceplate for my super twin (converting combo to a bass head).
Old 29th November 2012, 07:10 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

It arrived yesterday intact, packed as a chassis in a box with tubes sticking out the top of the chassis! The whole thing is so light! I hope to try it tonight. I will be listening for low hum and hiss.

I was surprised the filament wires are not twisted. Inside it looks surprisingly random.

Hide this!Advertise here!