Making a pedal with things I found

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi. This is my first post, sorry if I say anything dumb and sorry for the bad English, my primary language is Portuguese (Brazil).

So, a few days ago I found A LOT of stuff in a deposit. Vacuum tubes, manuals (on vacuum tubes), small amplifiers, (vintage) resistors, transistors, capacitors...

There is also an "abandoned" room in my school next to the gym where they keep old equipment and stuff.
Poking around through cobwebs I found resistors, potentiometers, switches, ICs, and I also brought home an old German multimeter (Elavi 5).

So, I was very excited to find all this stuff, and I want to do something with them. I'm starting out with electronics, I've been looking at some pedals and it seems like the fuzz and it's variations is an easier project for a beginner.

Among the components I have are:
- Vacuum tubes: 6CL8, 6BS8, 6ESY, 4ES8, 6BQ5, I7JZ8, 33GY7, 35B5, 1U4, 1U5, 6AU6, 12BE6, 6EM7, 6SL7 GT, 5V3GB, 6SN7 GT, 1LH4, 5U4GB, 6V6GT, 6BG6-G, and some that I couldn't identify;
- 0C71 transistors (x12)
- AC188K transistors
- Lots and lots and lots of resistors (mainly 47k)
- Styroflex capacitors (I think that's how they're called) and some ceramic capacitors
- Pots: 470k, 1M, 22k and some trimpots
- Slide switches

So, any ideas on anything cool I can do with these components?

Last edited:
WoW.....Nice Find !!!!

Save all of the tubes you can!!!
I may be sittin' on a gold mine there !!! He,he,he,he
With the 6V6's,6SL7's,6SN7's and 5U4's you can make a sweet little amp providing you can find or get some transformers.

Welcome to the forum !!

Cheers !!!

jer :)

P.S. I would have been in Heaven had I found all of that stuff !!!! :)

WoW.....Nice Find !!!!

Save all of the tubes you can!!!
I may be sittin' on a gold mine there !!! He,he,he,he
With the 6V6's,6SL7's,6SN7's and 5U4's you can make a sweet little amp providing you can find or get some transformers.

Thanks, man.
Can you enlighten me more on the transformers? Any specific models, useful links?
I'm glad to be on the forum, a lot of good makers here.
Cheers!

You could make a Dallas Rangemaster. Very simple circuit, and an OC71 will sound great in there.

OC71 Rangemaster - YouTube

rangemasterschematic.gif

You may get away with using the 22k pot, especially if you up the 3K9 a little. And your 47k will probably stand in for the 68k.

Last edited:
Two company's that come to mind to get some transformers are Parts Express and Mouser.
Sadly they aren't cheap any more sometimes you can find them for reasonable prices from other company's as well.
I have seen a few But I don't remember which ones off hand.

Just google a search on electronic parts will find you many such surplus company's.

The guys in the tube section would most glady redirect you to a source that would suit your application, just give them the info on what you would like to build.

May be you can find some in that pile you found or even a whole working amp that can be modified or even one that the transformers can be salvaged from.

Search these forums and you will find many of such projects.

Here is a good place to start just by searching 6V6,

diyAudio - Search Results

Or 6V6's here,

diyAudio - Search Results

If you can find some 12AX7's, 12AT7's or even 12AU7's these make great preamp stages that you can use before any power amp that is working as well as the 6AU6's and 6SN7's and 6SL7's.
Typically the 6SL7 is used as a driver stage to the 6V6,6L6 and 6AC7/EL34 power tubes.
The 6BQ5 is a nice little 5 watt power tube as well.
I have seen many projects based on that tube as my very first practice amp used one.

What kind of IC's did you find?
There are endless possibility's you can do with opamps.

Ones to look for are TL072,TL074,TL082,TL084,LM324,LF356,LF353,LF358,LF357,UA741,NE5532,NE5534 and many many more.
These are some of the more common numbers that were used in the past and are still in use today in many projects in these threads.

I still use them as well as the can be gotten for very cheap and are still of good to excellent quality.
Although many my argue that the newer ones of today are much better (and they are), But they are still good to use for audio with the exception of the very old UA741.
It can be used but it is very noisy compared to the others as it was one of the very first opamp's to hit the market.

As well as that they are on a much safer voltage level than working with tubes for now.

Tubes are High Voltage devices and much care and caution with some guidelines must taken and observed when using when working with them.
There are a ton of schematics out there for tube amps once you get your parts sorted out.
Here is only some of them,

guitar amp schematics - Google Search

I hope this helps you!!

Cheers !!

Last edited:
That helps a lot!

ICs? I have these:
27C256-20, EP910PC-35, D27C256, D27C256-25, D27256D-3, AT27C256R-25DC

I'm still taking notes on what I have... sorting out resistor values, etc.
I made an order for a bigger variety of components on dx.com, but it's going to take some time to arrive (1-2 months), so I want to do something now with what I have...

Unfortunately a lot of the stuff in the deposit was taken by other people passing by in the same day. It was actually my stepfather who found them, and he wasn't so aware of my interest in them, so he took only a few stuff. Tomorrow I'll go there by the afternoon and see what I can find. I would be very lucky to find a transformer. We'll see.

Until the stuff I bought arrive I'm taking some time to study the basics (using the great links you posted on this thread http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/instruments-amps/192119-wannabe-electronics-geek.html) and taking a look at pedals, amps, etc. I'm looking for the dirty, broken fuzz kind (know Jesus & Mary Chain?) in a simple schematic.

Relating to pedal construction, I have one quick question: do I really need a PCB to mount them, or can I use just wire? I have a lot of wire, but no PCBs.

I'll check the links you gave me, thanks a lot.

Those I.C's are TTL EPROMS's (Erasable Progammable Read Only Memory) of the CMOS type.
they should have a little Quartz Window on them where that when they are exposed to ultraviolet light they would be erased.

And the EP910 is a EPLD ( Electrically Programmable Logic Device/array )with about 450 gates in it arranged on a grid so that the inputs and outputs can be connected in any combination as need all within the chip itself.

Both are TTL device as is the basic technology of computers today and yesterday.

They work on 5v and require a 12v source to program them.
As is the use of the picture of the power supply you posted.
It looks to be a small bench supply that produces both of these voltages at about 1 to 1.5 amps each.

Here are some data sheets,

http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/devicedoc/11001n.pdf

EP910EPLD datasheet pdf datenblatt - List of Unclassifed Manufacturers - HIGH PERFORMANCE 24 MACROCELL EPLD ::: ALLDATASHEET :::

EP910 datasheet pdf datenblatt - Altera Corporation - Classic EPLD Family ::: ALLDATASHEET :::

Jer:)

The AY-3-8910A was a neat little sound generator.
I have one of those around here that I never even hooked up.
They are quite rare to find now and are actually sought after by many.

You probably have all of the workings of a nice little single board computer.
I have had many Z-80 systems back in the day that ran CP-M and MSBASIC.

Here is the data sheet on the sound chip,

http://www.paulswan.me/arcade/datasheets/AY-3-8910.pdf

Great find !!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.