Tone control preamp - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th November 2012, 06:10 PM   #11
vasko is offline vasko  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

Ok then.
Old 18th November 2012, 08:29 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

vasko, do you want to be able to overdrive this preamp? You mention clipping being okay, but do you want it? You said you want 2 valves, if you want 2 tubes you would have 4 valves. You could add a classic DC coupled cathode follower pair as the last stage to get some overdrive. It has a second benefit of giving you a cathode follower to drive into "unknown" loads outside (the cathode follower is more suited to driving heavier loads, low impedance).
Old 18th November 2012, 08:59 PM   #13
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by artosalo View Post
<snip>

The frequency response of your circuit (=Fender) is confused and hazy.
This is not a real tone control, it is just a "tone control".
Different controls have interaction.
Adjusting bass will effect to treble etc. Also there is not real flat position.

In my example all the these defects are avoided.
This however is the tone control (commonly known as a tone stack in the MI industry) through long experience that has been found to work the best for electric guitar, that or the Marshall variation. The design and implementation are not accidental. Variations on the Baxandall work well with acoustic guitar and not so well with solid body electrics IMLE. So I guess the question to ask is what kind of guitar will be used with this pre-amp.

Here is a very good tone stack calculator on Duncan Amps: http://www.duncanamps.com/tsc/
Old 18th November 2012, 09:16 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doozerdave View Post
vasko, do you want to be able to overdrive this preamp? You mention clipping being okay, but do you want it? You said you want 2 valves, if you want 2 tubes you would have 4 valves.
As I wrote in first post pentode/triode, or triode/triode preamp. So one tube, two valves. This preamp will pickup signal from guitar, and will be always first in chain. No OD pedal will be used.
Old 18th November 2012, 09:17 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkr View Post
Variations on the Baxandall work well with acoustic guitar and not so well with solid body electrics IMLE. So I guess the question to ask is what kind of guitar will be used with this pre-amp.

No acoustic. Stratocaster will be used.

Last edited by vasko; 18th November 2012 at 09:20 PM.
Old 18th November 2012, 10:03 PM   #16
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Can't really go wrong with any of the Fender or Marshall variants, should you not like the one you have chosen usually it will be just a few components that need to be changed to implement a different variant.

Since it is a Strat I would probably go with the Fender E or modern variants, beyond that it is a matter of (changing) preferences.

Download and install that calculator, also be aware that there is a variant called the Dumble which is essentially the 3 control tone stack implementation with some additional toggle switches to allow critical component values to be changed.
Old 18th November 2012, 11:04 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasko View Post
As I wrote in first post pentode/triode, or triode/triode preamp. So one tube, two valves. This preamp will pickup signal from guitar, and will be always first in chain. No OD pedal will be used.
So you want only a clean amp? If not, you can increase the cathode resistor of the second valve to push the bias point closer to cut-off to get a bit of smooth clipping coming in.

Hide this!Advertise here!