Post your Horror stories of getting lit up by Filter Caps anyone? - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd October 2012, 02:43 PM   #41
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I would willingly go light myself up with 120AC before I would ever want to be touched with 400-450DC again
I choose........E) None of the above!

Quote:
We got a couple caps from a defibrillator and built a supply around them. Several Joules in fact, I forget the exact values.
Most defibrillators go to 400 Joules. The two common caps are 15uF at 7500 volts or 30uF at 4000 volts. The filter cap in the picture below came from a defib unit. I had a lot of fun "testing" stuff with a defib unit. Note: Never connect a defib across a bananna and push the test button unless you like cleaning goo off of the ceiling!

Quote:
thank god you did not disconnect it first man
Instinct probably would have forced me to put the wrench or at least a long screwdriver across the cap terminals. After exploding the 260, I went home. Again, instinct. I don't like playing with electricity when tired or otherwise impared. Older now, and able to learn from my earlier stupidity, I turn off all dangerous electricity at 10PM, and think twice before doing something potentially hazardous. Really stupid experiments are behind a Lexan shield! See picture. Complete story here:

The 833A SE Amp Prototype

Quote:
as far as drugs I don't mess with that anymore, did about all of them......some people go through that party stage in their life
Mine lasted from ages 16 to 37. Coincidentally that time period was when I made most of my guitar amps including the biggest monster I ever made. It made an unknown amount of power. The more speakers (lower load impedance) you connected the louder it got. I saw over 1000 watts at 2 ohms. That was a lot of power for 1971.

Quote:
i forgot the cans on the npn's are hot. 75vac on the transistors one hand
Somewhere in the late 60's I was helping a friends band set up for an outdoor concert at a strip mall. It was a typical Miami summer day, 90+ degrees with 99% humidity. 5 minutes outside and you are wet with sweat. The mall people had provided one extension cord to power the whole band. My friends Acoustic 260 guitar amp was not liking the power at all. With one hand on the grounded guitar, he decided to check the temperature of the output transistors with the other hand. Launching the F-bomb into a working microphone might be acceptable today, but it didn't go over two well then. The concert was cancelled!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 200Wattsa-2.jpg (137.8 KB, 199 views)
Old 23rd October 2012, 12:46 AM   #42
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubelab.com View Post
The CRT is the filter cap on the output of the HV rectifier.
Now he tells me !!!. where were you 20 odd years ago when I stuck a conductive screw driver under that rubber cap on a colour tv, about 60,000 volts stored in there, blew me across the room an almost caved my head in on the wall (no dry wall here it was concrete breaze block. but i did learn a thing or three.
Old 24th October 2012, 07:40 PM   #43
diyAudio Member

Now that you mention it, I used to have a bunch of truly non-conductive tools for working on a live TV. Doubt I could even find them anymore. Don't want to become a human hipot tester of the insulation on my needle-nose plier handles. And just getting back into tubes lately, I do appreciate the reminders.
Old 25th October 2012, 01:55 AM   #44
Brion55 is offline Brion55  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Brion55
Shortly after high school (1973) I took a part-time job at a local electronics repair shop. I was working on a solid state stereo console which had a dead channel. I found several dead transistors in the output section, and after replacing them turned the amp on to check voltages and such. The amp worked for a few seconds and then I heard an odd crackling sound. I started to get a little closer to the PC board to figure out where the sound was coming from when a loud pop, followed by a capacitor shell hitting the ceiling scared the crap out of me. There was nothing left of the electrolytic cap but a trail of paper and foil.
Old 7th November 2012, 12:02 AM   #45
Sloan is offline Sloan  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Sloan Send a message via Yahoo to Sloan
I've been zapped by amps a few times, nothing bad so far. Had a cap blow up and shoot electrolytic crap all over my shirt.

Worst shock was when I got a full 220v through my hand from an extension outlet. That hurt a bit.
Old 12th November 2012, 02:44 AM   #46
diyAudio Member

Was checking an old Baldwin organ amp once (PP 6L6's) that was still in the organ in my garage when I first started messing with tubes. There wasn't much light so I clipped my leads on my multimeter to the secondary of the PT to see what it was putting out loaded. Grabbed a throw light with the metal shroud on it to get a better look at the meter display and had my index finger up against the metal shroud in my right hand. Touched the chassis with my left to move it a bit and WHAM...460VDC right across my chest. Didn't even think about the light shroud being grounded. I sat down (I was kneeling down at the time anyway) in the middle of the garage floor for about 45 minutes before I could get my heart to settle down enough to stand back up. I couldn't even talk.
Old 18th December 2012, 09:52 AM   #47
irext is offline irext  Australia
diyAudio Member

When i was about 16 (about 1974) i learned a valuable lesson about octal valve connections. Up till then i thought all top caps of octal valves were the grid connection. Iused to stick my finger on the top cap to hear the blurt out of the loudspeaker untill i came across an amp with 807 output valves. I stuck my finger on the driver valve top caps to get the usual blurt. Then i stuck my finger on the top cap of the 807. Knocked the living #### out of me. I sat on the ground for several minutes before my feet would work again. Lesson learnt and not forgotten!
Old 18th December 2012, 10:36 AM   #48
diyAudio Member

mmm, nice stories.

As a very young toddler (younger than the story below) I apparently grabbed one of my dads mains plugs and it had a wire hanging out the end of it maybe 2-3 inches long, I apparently plugged it into the wall and turned it on and watched for a few good seconds while it sparked until someone turned it off, my dad sure did learn his lesson that day, after that he never had mains cables hanging around waiting to be plugged in, not even until I was 15!!

As a toddler (bit older) I once turned up the volume on my dads Teac home theater system, the puported wattage was about 40w RMS into a set of floor standing 3-ways, I grabbed the knob, turned it to 11 and turned on the amp! and grabbed my ears and started crying until someone came and turned it off for me, lol.

As a teenager at about 13 yo I disassembled a HUUUGE photocopier and pulled out the geared drive motor for it, it was a huge thing, permanent magnet, which I now know means that it produces power when spun! and as I was fiddling around with it I asked my friend to hold one of the leads for it up to a multimeter and I spun it because I wanted to show him how many volts it put out, sure enough I was holding the other multimeter lead and that and my feet which were holding it down as it got spun completed the circuit.

I would guess that it put about 50-80v across my chest, at least thats what I remember the multimeter saying.
Old 18th December 2012, 11:04 AM   #49
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRGuitarGuy View Post
At least AC will throw you away DC scares **** out of me it grabs you and buddy it doesn't like to let go it also hurts like hell
I was always told that it was AC that was the one that didn't let you go, or rather that you didn't let it go because your muscles will flex and grip onto whatever you were holding.

In either case its a good idea to not come into contact with either type, no matter what the voltage and no matter the current....

Last edited by freax; 18th December 2012 at 11:07 AM.
Old 18th December 2012, 01:52 PM   #50
Banned

Yeah I forget I been lit up too many times from random Equipment and done too many drugs and usually lots of alcohol was involved too with all them mishaps lol. So yes don't play with things messed up as much fun as it is bad **** tends to happen lol.

Hide this!Advertise here!