MSGEQ7 without micro controller? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th October 2012, 07:39 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default MSGEQ7 without micro controller?

There seems to be a lot of projects using Arduino and the MSGEQ7 chip, but what about using logic circuits?

As far as I can work out the MSGEQ7 outputs a multiplexed DC signal referencing VCC, (which is 5V) for each of its 7 channels. So...

Can I just sling this signal into a 4017 decade counter, give both the chips a timing signal from a 555, and output directly into 7 LM3915's to drive "daz blinken lights"?

Am I going to need to buffer the output into/out of the 4017?

Is there anything I've missed?

I'm trying to avoid all of the programing malarkey, and doing it old school.

I'm wanting 7x10 or more LED's for each channel.
Old 15th October 2012, 02:08 PM   #2
Simon B is offline Simon B  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Feed the 4017 from your clock, using glue logic to have that reset after count 7

Output from the MSGEQ7 is time division multiplexed analogue, so you need to separate the 7 outputs with 7 sample and hold circuits, one for each driver chip, enabled by the count from the 4017.

Signal input to the LM3915 on pin 5 is high impedance, so your sample and hold circuits may need to be just a fet, a diode and a capacitor.

Alternatively, you could ditch the 4017 and do the count in binary, then use a HEF4051B (de)multiplexer, with a small cap to ground on each output, feeding the LM3915s

Don't forget that you need to provide a reset pulse as well as the strobe.
Attached Images
File Type: gif Timing.gif (8.1 KB, 31 views)
Old 15th March 2013, 12:01 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Look at the block diagram from the data sheet; you'd be better just using opamps and skipping the multiplexing at the end.

I bought these and had the same lack of interest using a micro controller, but that's really what they're for. Otherwise, you're just making redundant peak detectors.

Try taking the filter section out of this:

Nixie Music Visualizer | tchips.com

Hide this!Advertise here!