ID E83CC Tube - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th October 2012, 04:19 PM   #1
Banned

Default ID E83CC Tube

OK so back to trying ID what ever the hell these things are lol I bought 3 these e83cc they all have Brimar logo and E83cc logo but no date codes came on mine now look closely in that picture on back side of the Brimar i see a S A X???? mine didn't have that can't find anything on it anyways now to other picture that side shot looks identical to the brimars so are these Lorenz E83cc tubes that they relabeled as Brimar??? Any of you guys Familiar with the Lorenz manufacture? its German/East German I'm assuming?? I found that other picture online and about **** myself its the closest thing that really looks like it. They have a very warm sound to them slightly bright But warm really describes them well. This ID hunt on this one has left me stumped for long time now ha-ha. Some help would really be welcomed here to put this mystery to rest.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brimar.JPG (173.9 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg ITT.jpg (128.5 KB, 92 views)
Old 11th October 2012, 04:48 PM   #2
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

The E83CC is an industrial grade 12AX7A, and should be quite nice. Lorenz was the consumer electronics division of ITT and I believe they were based some where in what was then West Germany. I believe these would have been relabeled Philips Mini-Watt, Valvo, or possibly Brimar, but am not sure whether Lorenz made any of their own tubes or not, other divisions of ITT definitely did. Lorenz made TV sets, some stereo gear and some nice radios.

Brimar was a fairly significant British manufacturer of tubes intended to be equivalent to American types. Brimar apparently was founded and owned by ITT until 1960.

http://www.transparentsound.com/tran...rand%20History

http://www.vintage-technology.info/p...a/vebrimar.htm

STC, another ITT entity was well known for its interpretation of the WE 300B which was the STC 4300B..
Old 11th October 2012, 04:55 PM   #3
Banned

it is very nice and and just very warm 3D tube I would like to find others like it but with a bit more gain these don't have that much imo
Old 11th October 2012, 05:04 PM   #4
diyAudio Moderator

All ECC83/E83CC and 12AX7A have a mu of 100, so the gain should be very consistent across all brands and variants. There aren't too many types that offer higher mu in consumer types, and they generally are not interchangeable.
Old 11th October 2012, 05:06 PM   #5
Banned

Thanks Kevin this is all starting to make a lot more sense now lol
Old 11th October 2012, 05:08 PM   #6
Banned

they sound great wherever I put them tonestack, gain stage, PI just cool tube
Old 11th October 2012, 05:13 PM   #7
Banned

I don't have any other Nos right now I got couple JJECC83s they kinda sound hollow tho and just dull lifeless in comparison, I need something like that gives extra kick or "Hair" to the sound lol
Old 11th October 2012, 05:19 PM   #8
diyAudio Moderator

I'll move this thread over to Instruments and Amps since I did not realize we were discussing a guitar amplifier, although from your moniker I should have suspected same.

The Brimars are amongst the best measuring tubes I have tried, obviously for guitar use you'll also want to try GE and vintage Tungsols which are well regarded by the guitar crowd. The ribbed plate Telefunken 12AX7 might be worth checking out, these are not attaining the insane prices of the smooth plate, but IMO sound just about identical.
Old 11th October 2012, 05:49 PM   #9
Banned

Thanks info man sorry for posting wrong place again lol
Old 11th October 2012, 05:59 PM   #10
Banned

I did like the Dark nature of the JJ though it helped somewhat with the Crate stealth such bright *** amp with them 6v6 in there the Brimars may be Just too bright for it, Heard good things about the RFT Ecc83 I hear they are dark/gainy as hell too I can't even bring the treble knob to even noon usually it stays at 9am anything above that is rip your head off Icepick its a great underrated amp it will cut through any mix, opened up it sounds pretty close to my jcm800 I use to have but the Cleans are about 100x better lol

Hide this!Advertise here!