ID E83CC Tube

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OK so back to trying ID what ever the hell these things are lol I bought 3 these e83cc they all have Brimar logo and E83cc logo but no date codes came on mine now look closely in that picture on back side of the Brimar i see a S A X???? mine didn't have that can't find anything on it anyways now to other picture that side shot looks identical to the brimars so are these Lorenz E83cc tubes that they relabeled as Brimar??? Any of you guys Familiar with the Lorenz manufacture? its German/East German I'm assuming?? I found that other picture online and about **** myself its the closest thing that really looks like it. They have a very warm sound to them slightly bright But warm really describes them well. This ID hunt on this one has left me stumped for long time now ha-ha. Some help would really be welcomed here to put this mystery to rest.

Attachments

• brimar.JPG
    brimar.JPG
    173.9 KB · Views: 148
  • ITT.jpg
    ITT.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 133
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The E83CC is an industrial grade 12AX7A, and should be quite nice. Lorenz was the consumer electronics division of ITT and I believe they were based some where in what was then West Germany. I believe these would have been relabeled Philips Mini-Watt, Valvo, or possibly Brimar, but am not sure whether Lorenz made any of their own tubes or not, other divisions of ITT definitely did. Lorenz made TV sets, some stereo gear and some nice radios.

Brimar was a fairly significant British manufacturer of tubes intended to be equivalent to American types. Brimar apparently was founded and owned by ITT until 1960.

http://www.transparentsound.com/transistors/vintage-transistors/brand-history/brand-history.htm#Brand%20History

http://www.vintage-technology.info/pages/ephemera/vebrimar.htm

STC, another ITT entity was well known for its interpretation of the WE 300B which was the STC 4300B..

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
:cop: I'll move this thread over to Instruments and Amps since I did not realize we were discussing a guitar amplifier, although from your moniker I should have suspected same. :D

The Brimars are amongst the best measuring tubes I have tried, obviously for guitar use you'll also want to try GE and vintage Tungsols which are well regarded by the guitar crowd. The ribbed plate Telefunken 12AX7 might be worth checking out, these are not attaining the insane prices of the smooth plate, but IMO sound just about identical.

I did like the Dark nature of the JJ though it helped somewhat with the Crate stealth such bright *** amp with them 6v6 in there the Brimars may be Just too bright for it, Heard good things about the RFT Ecc83 I hear they are dark/gainy as hell too I can't even bring the treble knob to even noon usually it stays at 9am anything above that is rip your head off Icepick its a great underrated amp it will cut through any mix, opened up it sounds pretty close to my jcm800 I use to have but the Cleans are about 100x better lol

That is a sylvania 12AX7 im 100% sure .

It cannot be European the grids are not In line whit the plates . they are at a 90 degree angle

the lack of a seam on the top. Or the fat Bulb seen in the RFT tubes further excludes Europe as a whole

The 6 slots in the plates are characteristic for the sylvania tubes, The similar in plate structure GE's don't have this feature

v4lve

Ok so these do have the 6 ribbon slots in the plates which like you said are trademark sylvania but after researching more about them there was different eras of them 50s 60s and 70s/late 70s is there any way to tell? and I hear how Eddie VH himself possibly loaded these up in hes Marshall's back in the day? But those are the ones with JAN designation I think? I did notice how I could easily get Harmonics to sound a lot like Eddies xD like pretty women cover and panama is really easy to nail with stealth lol and I'm using a 2004 Ibanez JS1000 so Dimarzio Fred in bridge/PAF in neck and it is all Basswood body with Maple neck so killer Versatile Tones the Fred is not that Hot though Id like to try the Tonezone I'm also running overdrive its TS/boss clone pedal I changed a few Resistors and put in a couple Bigger caps for alittle more boost and bigger sound it works well and I'm running a Delta-Lab dd1 delay in the loop its pretty warm for being digital and cheap but its short delay like max 300-350ms so cool Slap-back tones at least

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.