picked up an old Fender amp - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th October 2012, 08:46 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

If you have an orbital vibrational sander, you can start with wet-or-dry sandpaper for most of the work, then use a polisher with tripoli for the last bit. Here in SoCal there's big polishing shops that do a big business with motorcycle wheels and things like that.
Old 29th October 2012, 09:02 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

I worked on the cabinet some this weekend. Bought the wrong tolex and grillecloth, can't trust online pictures.
Old 30th October 2012, 12:27 AM   #33
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclecamper View Post
I worked on the cabinet some this weekend. Bought the wrong tolex and grillecloth, can't trust online pictures.
AES hav sets of samples for tolex and grill cloth, i bought the samples and yes they are quite different to the pictures.
Old 30th October 2012, 07:59 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

I bought the real original Fender part number tolex for early '60's blonde. So it should be correct. But I'm making mongrel anyway, I jsut want an OK color. Then I went looking for a handle...yikes, pistures of white ones in listings for a black or brown, cream that looks bright yellow. The real Fender blondes came with black handles, same as black ones. I got a vinyl cream-colored handle, but I'm giong to add an aluminum mounting plate at each end, otherwise I'm afraid it won't handle the weight of this big amp.
Old 31st October 2012, 01:09 AM   #35
diyAudio Member

I have some experience working on both the Studio Bass and the Super Twin Reverb amps. There are quite a few restoration/conversion threads over on Talkbass that you might want to check out.
Old 31st October 2012, 01:33 AM   #36
diyAudio Member

Yes, and pics of two very very nice head conversions. I found that when I first searched, before I bought the chassis.

I wish I had the paper tube chart sheet.
Old 31st October 2012, 01:36 AM   #37
diyAudio Member

BTW, I have 4 output 6L6s of one brand, and 2 of another. I didn't even figure out which sockets are push and which are pull, or which are paired yet. It came with 4 of one kind (RUBY I think) in the sataggered sockets, then the other 2 (Groove Tubes I think) in the last 2 inline sockets. Chances are that placement is incorrect, but at least I didn't get it with all empty sockets.
Old 31st October 2012, 06:15 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

I'll say one thing, this head is enormous. It looks kind of like a bandmaster that grew up on steroids. The chassis is already long, then I had it made taller and deeper too.
Old 1st November 2012, 06:28 AM   #39
diyAudio Member

I owned and restored 2 x 12" speaker a combo version. I was amazed to find that I measured a genuine 180W RMS pure sine wave into a dummy load when testing after the restore. A "friend" decided to use it for bass with it turned to 10 one night, set fire to the little flex wires which connect the speaker coils to the connections on the speaker frame, yep real flames, burned out both speakers. Had the speakers reconed and the thing fired straight up again. Got rid of it in the end, too bloody loud and too bloody heavy. Sold it to a young guy who wanted something to blow away his brothers 100W Marshall Head + 2 x Quad Boxes Stack, it did that without strain.

Cheers,
Ian
Old 1st November 2012, 09:08 PM   #40
diyAudio Member

Of my 6 6L5GC, 4 are RUBY and 2 are Groove Tubes. So, which of the 6 sockets are push or pull? I guess I should look at the wiring; the schematic doesn't even show all 6.

I was thinking that this big honkin' clean machine would be great for baritone guitar; never tired one but I sure would like to, like some big Gretsch or a baritone tele.

Hide this!Advertise here!