5E3 Volume Tone mod

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Came up with a mod so you can switch between a 5E3 volume-tone arrangement to a regular voltage divider circuit as in the Brown 6G3 Fender.

5E3VolumeModLayout-1.jpg

But then it would not be a 5E3 then would it?

Well, technically once you split the channels like that it is not a 5E3 anyway :D

I have done the 6G3 mod on several 5E3 amps over the years, I used a dual pot for the 2 tone circuits. At first I liked it, and it was actually nice have the different tone pot values.
That said, it really did make the amp kind of lack luster.
In every case, the split volume setup was removed within a month.
A lot can be said for the original design, it is not for everyone, but basically I attribute some of that to the lack of patience to learn the virtues of the interactive controls (both amp & guitar).

Well, technically once you split the channels like that it is not a 5E3 anyway :D

But only temporarily when you flick the switch. Just like being good on Sundays when you go to church.
2.gif

I have done the 6G3 mod on several 5E3 amps over the years, I used a dual pot for the 2 tone circuits. At first I liked it, and it was actually nice have the different tone pot values.
That said, it really did make the amp kind of lack luster.
In every case, the split volume setup was removed within a month.
A lot can be said for the original design, it is not for everyone, but basically I attribute some of that to the lack of patience to learn the virtues of the interactive controls (both amp & guitar).
As you said, some like it and some don't. But it is nice to be able to have your cake and eat it if you can. I still want to throw in a BF tone control for good measure.

Oh I almost forgot, colored the layouts and added some 5 Meg resistors after the blocking caps on the top diagram in order to reduce popping.

5E3VolumeModLayout03.jpg

Last edited:
Pretty Cool Stuff,

Man , I am going to buy stock in a switch company if you keep this up LOL

Only two not counting the power. :grumpy:

I would like to go between cathode and fixed bias but I don't know if I have the room. I was going to have the foot switch on the panel but just a bit short in the cab I want to put this in. I just did a rough layout that I hope to clean up tomorrow. I am going with 6K6's for now, not sure what the PT can do as far as 6V6's. I am going to go SS on the rectifier to free up some VA.

Got the tube sockets mounted, was going to do the transformers and noticed the old insulation at the bell decided it did not like the handling even if it was ever so gentle. Well being over 70 years old I guess that is to be expected. Not going to like doing the repair as it is real tight for room.

5E3BFPT.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.