Building power electronics into a wooden cabinet? - Page 8 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd November 2012, 11:18 PM   #71
Banned

I try not to run my JJ6v6s too much anymore they are at least one year old probably more who knows but one of them there is a small blob of red on the bottom mica lol kinda close to the plate but the plate is not glowing at all, starting to scare me lol
Old 2nd November 2012, 11:21 PM   #72
Banned

I originaly had 4 good working jj6v6s then 2 of them got the rattles like really bad even though they still worked so kinda sux it was in a combo amp so maybe they got shaked to death lol
Old 2nd November 2012, 11:36 PM   #73
Banned

any of you guys have experience or heard if the current production Genelex 6v6/c511 is any good? Was thinking about ordering a quad and see what happens lol to hell with the EH I bought 2 of them once brand new 1 of them started arcing/red-plating instantly lol just hope the the Genelex ones are built better/better quality?
Old 3rd November 2012, 12:35 AM   #74
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclecamper View Post
What does it mean if there's a row of same-brand power tubes, and all but one have silver tops like a glass mirror, but one tube is all clear glass at the top?
that tube has air in it if there's no getter spot. depending on the getter material, tou will see white flaky powder or clear glass when air gets into the tube.

btw, if you haven't figured this out yet, always remove a tube by grabbing the base (whenever possible, some tubes don't have plastic bases) and gently rocking the tube in a circular motion. the vacuum seal extends down into the socket key, and if you break the socket key, it's likely you will break the seal. if the tube doesn't have the typical plastic cup base, use the same method, as the glass is thicker at the bottom
Old 12th November 2012, 05:46 AM   #75
diyAudio Member

I thought so...an eBay ad tried to make it sound like the clear one among the set of 4 was 'special' like a mis-struck coin and more valuable. Can't believe everything on the internet.
Old 12th November 2012, 08:43 AM   #76
Banned

don't buy them.... lots of sellers are selling them even when they know its a gassy tube ripping people off that don't know
Old 28th November 2012, 04:02 PM   #77
JMFahey is offline JMFahey  Argentina
diyAudio Member

FWIW I build my amps in chipboard cabinets.
[image]http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/102/img0792qi.jpg[/image]
A front panel with the preamp, a back panel with power amp, PSU *and* the transformer directly bolted to it in 100W amps; bolted straight to the wooden case if 150W up, so there's *plenty* naked wooden surfaces all around ... never had a fire problem.
*Sometimes* I had to repair charred PCBs (and the wood above showed black greasy looking soot) , *always* because a power fuse blew in mid-concert and some "genius" repaired it with a piece of cigarette paper or replaced it with a fuse pulled from the car or motorcycle.
In that case yes, I have found exploded ballast resistors , cracked plastic power transistors, some showing a charred crater.
After all, if the fuse does not blow, *something else* must.
But never ever a wooden cabinet caught fire, even under such extreme circumstances.
We are talking over 10.000 (ten thousand) amps in over 43 years selling them commercially, so the data is valid.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img0792qi.jpg (190.3 KB, 36 views)

Last edited by JMFahey; 28th November 2012 at 04:06 PM.
Old 28th November 2012, 07:20 PM   #78
Banned

Nice Man
Old 29th November 2012, 02:15 AM   #79
diyAudio Member

a few years ago i saw a 5000 watt AM transmitter, an old 1930's vintage RCA behemoth, which was built in a wooden cabinet with a black enameled front panel... and this thing was still running and on the air.... so, yeah, wooden cabinets for high power electronics aren't really much of a hazard......

Hide this!Advertise here!