Marshall 50W ECC808 Homebrew - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th August 2012, 03:26 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Marshall 50W ECC808 Homebrew

I built a unique Marshall JCM 800 2204 copy, hopefully the pictures and links will come out right in this post so you can see. Please take a look and let me know what you think. It is true point to point and has Telefunken ECC808 pre amp tubes, They are dual triode , gain of 100, like 12ax7, but quieter, used in high end audio back in the day. Plus they are telefunken ! To my ear the cleans are sweeter and the over-driven marshall tone is even more intense.

I kept the wiring as concise as possible to reduce induced noise and parasitic oscillations. Note the resistors all 2 watt metal film, again to reduce noise. See the layout , neat and clean, even the tubes are turned with the plate and grids oriented to keep the signal paths short.

Click the image to open in full size.

Of course it works great with 12ax7 and ecc83 also, if you want to see more pictures to get an idea how to build one yourself you can see more by clicking this text:

Also check out these clips - No laughing at my cheesy guitar playing

Sound clip clean: JCM 800 2204 - ECC808 Modded Preamp Clean Clip - YouTube

Sound clip dirty: JCM 800 2204 - ECC808 Modded Preamp Dirty Clip - YouTube
Old 29th August 2012, 03:36 PM   #2
Mooly is online now Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Nice

You've made a great job of the amp. The playings non too shabby either
I have the greatest respect for anyone that plays an instrument and it gives you so much insight into the whole audio/acoustics scene.
Old 29th August 2012, 03:47 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thank you. Thats very kind of you to say. Mostly I hear things like can you turn that down, and why do you build so many amps anyway. Its nice to be on a forum like this where my preoccupation with glass tubes is welcomed! Cheers.
Old 29th August 2012, 09:52 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Nicely done! Now you make me want to get the ECC808s! More tubes to play with, yeah!

Jaz
Old 29th August 2012, 10:24 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

if you want to play with ecc808 / 6kx8 , its easy, the tube is very similar to a ecc83 but watch the pinout and the heater wiring is different, you can find the specifications on the telefunken datasheets and if you want to see a nice example of these tubes in use check out klien and hummel gear, TC: K+H Telewatt VS56 ECL82 Rhrenverstrker - www.tube-classics.de nice stuff

Hide this!Advertise here!