Designed 12AT7 Long Tail Pair phase inverter - half of it doesn't work right - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th August 2012, 05:32 PM   #1
jule is offline jule  Slovenia
diyAudio Member

Default Designed 12AT7 Long Tail Pair phase inverter - half of it doesn't work right

It is supposed for the guitar amp.

Schematic:

Click the image to open in full size.

Output goes to ECC99 output tube.

I was aiming on 2mA current and 45V across Tail resistor while having B+ voltage of 210V.

Load line of 33k is like this(with the circle of the desired idle bias)

Feedback from speaker isn't connected for now.

The problem is:
Across 33k plate resistor I get 75V drop, across the other one (30k) I get 10V!! I tried 2 different tubes and I also soldered 2 different resistors but no luck.

Power amp works great, preamp also. I had Cathodyne PI (which I didn't like) in before and I decided to make it LTP at the expense of 1 gain stage.

Amp works quiet and pops and makes weird noises when at full volume(which is very quiet compared to before )

Did I design PI correctly? What could be wrong?

Thanks.

Last edited by jule; 26th August 2012 at 05:35 PM.
Old 26th August 2012, 05:42 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Short of checking all the parts and making sure they are hooked up right I would take the 0.1uF cap to the PI input and then compare the voltages of the two halves.
Old 26th August 2012, 06:29 PM   #3
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

You almost certainly have a wiring error or inadvertent short.
Old 26th August 2012, 07:29 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I agree with SY. I modeled your circuit in LTspice and it works OK. One note, though: with a designed plate current of about 2 mA per tube you will see close to 90 volts across the 22k tail resistor, not 45 volts (a total of 4 mA x 22k ohms).
Old 27th August 2012, 05:24 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks guys.

Problem was that I had tonestack before PI and I forgot to wire that 10n cap, so one grid was pulled down.

I also changed that 22k resistor to 12k and it works great now. It is pretty well symmetrical clipping now.

But I still need to figure why Presence control does nothing and if I wire feedback from 8 ohm speaker tap it also makes no sonic difference.
Old 27th August 2012, 05:30 PM   #6
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Return the "bottom" of the 12k resistor directly to ground. Bring the node between the feedback resistor and the presence pot/resistor shunt to the other grid through a capacitor.
Old 28th August 2012, 12:26 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Sorry for my bad english but I didn't quite understand how should this be wired.

Thanks.
Old 30th August 2012, 08:33 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I've had very consistant results with one of marshalls presence circuits. Works perfect every time and allows some variation on your part if you like. Your presence "tail" in your drawing looks to have a 700ohm resistor I think this is the issue with your presense not working, increase that to 4.7 k, Then if your feedback comes from your 16ohm tap use 27k, 8ohm tap use 47k , 4 ohm use 100k. and put a 25k linear pot if youve got one handy, but 10 k will work too. Here it is in wired in one of my amps. Ax7 ay7, and at7 tubes all work fine in here - this will give you a very pronounced high roll off and it is tried and tested.
Old 30th August 2012, 11:31 PM   #9
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jule View Post
Sorry for my bad english but I didn't quite understand how should this be wired.

Thanks.
like this, maybe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LTP.jpg (131.0 KB, 139 views)
Old 31st August 2012, 03:14 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Hide this!Advertise here!