Q-tuner neodymiun magnet guitar & bass pickups - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd August 2012, 03:48 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Q-tuner neodymiun magnet guitar & bass pickups

Anyone have any first-hand experience w/ the Q-Tuner pickups? The coils appear to be air-core, laying on their sides, with a rare-earth magnet sandwiched between coils, and three rows of adjustable pole pieces.

They seem to have GREAT frequency response and output.
Old 22nd August 2012, 05:22 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Of course, stronger magnets have their own disavantages. They damp the strings with their magnetic pull, and actually shift where the nodes and antinodes are, making the string sound out of tune with itself; a common problem with playing at some points higher up the neck so the strings get pushed down very close to the pickups when fretted, and most of the vibrating portion is in the pickup area, especially with Strat pickups because of their repetitive even spacing and point magnetic focus. That's part of why Lace purposely have weaker magnets.
Old 22nd August 2012, 07:05 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclecamper View Post
Anyone have any first-hand experience w/ the Q-Tuner pickups? The coils appear to be air-core, laying on their sides, with a rare-earth magnet sandwiched between coils, and three rows of adjustable pole pieces.

They seem to have GREAT frequency response and output.
I have had a set of BL-4s in one of my basses for a few years now. They work quite well, but IMHO are not really particularly revolutionary or anything. In my usage they sound like a nice single coil pickup without the hum, which was just what I wanted.

Quite a few users have related problems with string pull, but for me just lowering the pole pieces a bit took care of that. They haven't been selling any product for quite some time now, but the website promises new models and new production eventually.
Old 22nd August 2012, 08:40 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Still looks to be a darn nice bass pickup! I'm looking around because I just purchased two Kramer aluminum-neck basses. I had to sell my Travis Bean guitar and bass about two years ago to keep my house after a layoff. Prices on the Travis Beans are getting steep, but the Kramers look mass-produced in comparison. Oh well, they're still nice. But the bridges suck and I'm yet to try the pickups.

Certainly is unusual how they laid the coils down and used 3 sets of pole pieces instead of the traditional 2 for a humbucker. Will have to see whether they come back... I'd imagine they'd really have a lot of output with some of those new COBALT strings. I wish they had a more substantial magnetic structure. What do the pole-piece setscrews screw into?

Lace sure seems to be innovative by the look of the variety on their website!
Old 22nd August 2012, 09:07 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I still own a Travis Bean fretless, which I bought new in '77. In comparison, Kramer pickups were all over the map and I saw many with aftermarket replacements.

The Q-Tuners do sound very nice. On the BL-4s the pole pieces screw into the epoxy potting. I expect the new ones to be even better, but Erno sure is taking is time in getting them to market.

Here's the Crescent Moon bass I have mine in, and a short sound clip of it through one of my DIY tube preamps, direct to soundcard:

Click the image to open in full size.

Hide this!Advertise here!