Tube amp fluctuating volume on moderate gain

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Schematic is simillar to this:

http://diyguitarfreak.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/miniamp2-schematic1.jpg

My changes:

I have master volume with stereo pot after Phase Inverter.

I also changed the tone stack to Marshall one.

I changed first 2 stages bias to resistor 1k instead 1k5.

I have a switch to bypass third gain stage.

Power tube is biased 23mA each half.

--------------

I have 2 problems:

1.) when I use only 2 gain stages the volume fluctuates and it sounds crappy.

2) when I turn on the third stage the distortion becomes very harsh. See the video.

any suggestions? Tubes are new.

tube amp works like **** - YouTube

Sorry for late response.

I have the lead switch configured like this( I had to open the amp since I forgot how I wired it)

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/8656/miniampprede.jpg

I suppose this negative feedback is ruining it on "clean" channel. I will try to disable it.

Speaker is a copy of celestion Tube10. But everyone is just saying how good this speaker is. It shouldnt be that bad.

I am going to put tone stack after second gain stage?

I would suggest putting the tone stack after the second stage, and just a 1M pot where the tone stack is, for a gain control. then i would get rid of the switch, while you bypass the third stage the nfb is doing nothing, you could use the switch to turn the feedback on/off.

Though looking at the schematic, this may not be very good as you have quite a low impedance input for stage 3. maybe put the tone stack after stage 3?
I would also change R6 to 68k and C3 to 2.2u

I put 500k pot instead of gain(+ coupling cap 22n) and moved tonestack before phase inverter.

I also wired DPDT switch instead SPDT and used the other half to switch off negative feedback while using only 2 gain stages. Now volume no longer fluctuates!

But still is kind of too trebly on full 3 stage gain. It is much better now, but I still need to roll the Treble knob all the way down to get normal bright sound while this setting is a bit muddy when using only 2 gain stages.

I am thinking of switching that 2n2 coupling cap after second stage to 22n, it seems unusually small?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.