Installing a potentiometer/volume control

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I brought a speaker from home to add a dispatch radio speaker to my office. I took a volume control/potentiometer from an existing speaker in the firehouse and put it inline to the speaker brought from home. As a volume control, it does lower the volume, but it is still to loud. The speaker I added is from an old DVD surround system. I am not technically knowledgable in this area. Is there something I can do to get this volume lower? Thank you for your help!!

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Sounds like a small speaker you have at home so you probably could use a small variable L-Pad like the ones in the link. I would think even the 15W would do. Hook it up as they show you and not as a simple variable resistor and you should be fine.

Does the pot you have from the other speaker have 2 connection tabs or 3? If it has 3, you already have an L-pad. Hook up is easy. I'll see if I can find a diagram. If you amp accepts a 4 ohm load and you have 8 ohms speakers in parallel you're fine, just get an 8 ohm L-Pad.

http://www.parts-express.com/wizards/searchResults.cfm?srchExt=CAT&srchCat=196

Hook-up here:

https://www.google.ca/search?q=L-Pa...AQ&biw=931&bih=663&sei=PdgaUPGIBMX4igKVv4DYCw

The Pot I am using has 3 connection tabs. Looking at the diagram, I can see what may be the problem. I am only using 2 of the connections, and I have it wired in line, like an on/off switch.
To make the wire run easier, I connected to an existing speaker on the same floor. Is there an easy way to tell which side is positive on the existing speaker? (Does it matter?) I don't recall seeing a plus sign on the strip I connected to. I just spliced onto the existing leads. Does this make a difference on the hookup to the L-Pad, since it is going back to the existing speaker and not the amp?
Thank you!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.