PAiA stack-in-a-box guitar preamp kit - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th July 2012, 08:34 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default PAiA stack-in-a-box guitar preamp kit

http://www.paia.com/prodimages/siabsch.pdf
This looked interesting until I saw the schematic and all those op-amps. Probably an interesting hybrid, but I'm just into tubes for guitar preamp.

I'd like to build their theramin and add some kind of conversion to MIDI perhaps.
Old 12th July 2012, 08:51 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I might like to modify the envelope follower guitar kit and build it into a tube amp. Tap into the preamp just before after the first tube stage where the envelope hasn't been compressed, convert to voltage control, then a nice voltage controlled filter placed after the preamp, for when the preamp adds its own tonalities and distortion.
Old 13th July 2012, 12:02 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclecamper View Post
http://www.paia.com/prodimages/siabsch.pdf
This looked interesting until I saw the schematic and all those op-amps. Probably an interesting hybrid, but I'm just into tubes for guitar preamp.
I don't see your problem?, it's got a valve in there to give the distorted valve sound, the opamps are mostly filtering and buffering (pretty impractical to do anywhere near as well with valves).
Old 13th July 2012, 05:36 PM   #4
benb is offline benb  United States
diyAudio Member

The big problem here is the plate supply voltage of 30V (see the inverters driving the diode-capacitor voltage multiplier circuit). I've read about this type of "low-voltage" tube preamp circuit before (also in the "Art Tube Pre"), it doesn't give the same type of distortion as with a 150 to 250V plate supply voltage.
Old 13th July 2012, 10:34 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
The big problem here is the plate supply voltage of 30V (see the inverters driving the diode-capacitor voltage multiplier circuit). I've read about this type of "low-voltage" tube preamp circuit before (also in the "Art Tube Pre"), it doesn't give the same type of distortion as with a 150 to 250V plate supply voltage.
Do you really think the plate supply is 30V? What is the multiplier for then?
Old 14th July 2012, 12:17 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Printer2 View Post
Do you really think the plate supply is 30V? What is the multiplier for then?
There is that note on the schematic near the output of the multiplier, 30V; 10% tolerance. Doesn't make any sense to me either. I saw an article somewhere once that suggested using the flash supply from an old disposable camera. Something around 200-300V @ 2mA.
Old 14th July 2012, 12:25 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

42v out of the multiplier (allowing for losses).
You could;
Add some more diode/cap stages to the multiplier,
Reduce the values of the plate resistors,
Try other 12A*7 tubes,
Replace cathode resistors with LEDs;

Ie. Hours of fun. Go for it

JimG
Old 14th July 2012, 01:56 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

The 30V 10% from I can figure is the multiplier capacitor ratting. The supply for the chip from the note says 15V so then we are looking at 75V not counting losses. A little low but not horrid.
Old 14th July 2012, 02:59 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

@ Printer2, check this thread at MEF: Charge pump for bias/switching supply?

I know you're a member there. Non-members won't see some of the attachments. A voltage octupler is used to make 56V @ ~1mA from 6.3VAC 60Hz.
Old 14th July 2012, 03:08 AM   #10
benb is offline benb  United States
diyAudio Member

Okay, looking again, that 30V 10% surely IS the cap rating. I found a similar circuit (the "inverter" plate supply circuit is the same) on page 25 that says 42V, though the text on page 24 says 45V:
http://www.paia.com/manuals/docs/930...ead-manual.pdf
The open-circuit voltage may well be 75V, but with a CMOS inverter chip driving the voltage multiplier, it's easy to see how it can drop a lot with a few milliamps of loading.

There's more on "starved plate" tube circuit design here:
PAiA: Tube Sound?
Here's a thread that discusses some differences between the lower voltage "starved plate" design and "full" voltage design:
What Should Be The Cut Off For Calling a Circuit "Starved Plate" - Gearslutz.com

Hide this!Advertise here!