Electronic drums - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th October 2004, 09:26 AM   #11
co1inr is offline co1inr  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I like the idea of using mouse mats. These must be quite dense and give a good bounce when you hit them.

I've had a look at just buying a rack rather than building one, but these seem to be very expensive. Form what I can see it costs as much as an entire practice kit anyway.

How much did building the rack yourself cost? Has it been worth the effort?
Old 22nd October 2004, 03:06 AM   #12
Optical is offline Optical  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

well i only have the parts for so and have done a test build based on a design of a 'real' drum rack the drummer has.. seems to be pretty much the same but i guess the test of time will determine whats what..
Old 28th October 2004, 03:02 PM   #13
Nasse is offline Nasse  Finland
diyAudio Member

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v411/Nasse/SDRUM.jpg

Okay this is directly copied from Elektor Electronics but hope it is old enough so that the best electronic mag in the world (some maybe believe so) do not dislike me posting it. Anyway I could have re-drawn it and ot would have been legal to put the circuit online. Quess it was in year 1984... Very nice and better schems on recent Elektor magazines. IŽll remove that pic soon anyway.

But that circuit is quite nice analog "synth-tom-tom" or bass drum thing, XR chip and opamps (specified type works best in this circuit) are available, Small Bear has that XR chip in stock list (was when I last checked...)

A noise gate might be useful, but the noise in my circuit might have been bad layout or because I did not use metal box...

Possible modifications or add-ons would be adding a sine/triangle swithch (it is best done with mosfet switch as close to the chip as possible) and maybe you could trigger the drum with some audio signal like drum track or something.
Old 28th October 2004, 05:08 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

I am half way through developing and building an analogue drum synth, see:

http://www.electronicpeasant.com/pro...s/ssdrums.html

I find the thicker mouse pads to work quite well for this application.

Take care,
Doug
Old 26th January 2005, 10:11 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Has anyone tried making simple on/off triggers and then running them into the parallel port?? This way the port inputs could be assigned to .wav's of your choice. I'd like to try this, but am not to sure how to go about the programming. It would be nice though since with this method you could trigger ANY sound you want. Anyone try this before?? Or perphaps is anyone interested?? thanks
Old 28th January 2005, 02:48 PM   #16
admir is offline admir  Bosnia and Herzegovina
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zoombies
Has anyone tried making simple on/off triggers and then running them into the parallel port?
Well, there were some users asking about that on my website www.edrum.info , but the problem is always the same: there is no available software sampler that would support this connection, and you won't be getting velocity sensitive pads either.

Anyway, I think that writing sampler software for this is not worth time... So, maybe it would be better to write some kind of driver that read PPort and translate your custom "messages" to MIDI out. Than you could trigger whatever software sampler you wish.

OTOH, building eDrum is not a big deal

Good luck,
Admir.

Hide this!Advertise here!