Tube Amp Dummy Load questions - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th June 2012, 05:15 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

So, I got that big resistor and jack, soldered it a heavy duty 1/4" jack and put it to the test. I ran my amp at about half volume, which is normally extremely loud. I ran a speaker cable to my GI100, then plugged the dummy load in where the speaker would go, and of course ran the direct out w/4x12 emulation into my mixer, into my recording interface. Over all I am pleased. I can record screaming, fat tube amp sounds that sound WAY better (IMHO) than the amp modeling plugins I have. The only concerns I have are: The amp responds slightly different to my playing. This was expected, and its just a subtle difference, not that big of a deal. My only real concern is that the back panel of my amp, where the speaker jacks are, gets so hot you really don't want to touch it. The transformer felt reasonably cool to the touch, but the power tubes were getting HOT (but then again, they normally do anyways.) Also, the big box with the resistor in it was very hot as well. I think it'll be fine for recording sessions, as long as I take breaks and let my amp cool off. That back panel is my main concern.
Old 28th June 2012, 01:32 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

A dummy load puts more stress on a tube amp than a speaker does. It will wear the tubes out faster. If there are no live microphones in your recording setup, a fan would be a good idea. Some load boxes use a slightly higher resistance than the nominal load. Perhaps 10 or 12 ohms for an 8 ohm speaker tap.
Old 28th June 2012, 02:14 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

I have a selectable speaker out jack. So, should I set it at 4 ohms for the 8 ohm resistor?
Old 28th June 2012, 08:39 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudthud View Post
A dummy load puts more stress on a tube amp than a speaker does. It will wear the tubes out faster.
Sorry, but that's utter rubbish - a correctly designed dummy load will put slightly less load if anything on the amp (as it's a condstant correct value), and certainly won't 'wear the valves out' any differently
Old 28th June 2012, 04:45 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Goodwin View Post
Sorry, but that's utter rubbish - a correctly designed dummy load will put slightly less load if anything on the amp (as it's a condstant correct value), and certainly won't 'wear the valves out' any differently
Tell that to all the Marshall owners who had their warranty claims denyed.
Old 28th June 2012, 04:49 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudthud View Post
Tell that to all the Marshall owners who had their warranty claims denyed.
Sorry, still utter rubbish - and why would you even tell the service agent what you and been doing with the amp?.

An 8 ohm dummy load on an 8 ohm output is an easier load for the amp than an actual speaker.

If you're deliberately mismatching the output impedance, then yes you could well damage the amp - but why would you do something so stupid?.
Old 28th June 2012, 09:49 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

What I have heard what happens is when on a power soak or other load the guitar player turns up the output of the amp until it screams, far beyond than what they would do through a speaker. Whether this is true or not I do not know but it does make sense.

Hide this!Advertise here!