vertical line cabinet design for bass guitar

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Definitely interested in other ideas and approaches.
I've looked at some interesting cabinets on a thread here about omnis that have a speaker pointed straight up with a reflector. I've tried that too, also for guitar, but some of those beautifully turned reflectors are definitely more sophisticated than the curves I've used. Mostly I've used stock turning pieces, wooden bowls, the knobs on top of banisters, etc.

One thing I note is this design with many speakers- if I spent all that dough on just one or two speakers, I'd be using better speakers...

Hi, Here is a suggestion that is omni up to ~150Hz and can be used in numbers to form an array.

b:)

Attachments

• Peerless_830945_SLS-5.25inch.jpg
    Peerless_830945_SLS-5.25inch.jpg
    944.5 KB · Views: 66

Are you familiar with the Audiokinesis bass cabs? Their "acoustic friendly" option uses a secondary tweeter firing backward, and by design some midrange energy also escapes the back ports. In my experience these cabs work very well in situations where I'm forced to locate myself severely off-axis. I've also played around with using a couple of Faital 4" drivers in various geometries on the back of one of my DIY cabs with fairly promising results.

I corresponded for a little while with the Audiokinesis fellow and learned some things. So far I've been approaching this with a focus on full-range (if you call up to 700 hz full range...So far that seems like the must-have frequency response for total off-axis bass guitar satisfaction...) and have been a bit prejudiced in regards to tweeters and the like. Just a prejudice perhaps. I've put a lot of thought and work into getting midrange out of the port. A long vertical port slot has proved quite pleasing, I ranted about that a bit earlier in the thread.

Bjorno, thanks for all that! something must be a bit awry... I see something about "at 51 dB Sound Pressure Level =103,9943 dB"... I wonder what it would take to quadruple that 150 hz. I'll spend some more time with that and learn some more.

I corresponded for a little while with the Audiokinesis fellow and learned some things. So far I've been approaching this with a focus on full-range (if you call up to 700 hz full range...So far that seems like the must-have frequency response for total off-axis bass guitar satisfaction...) and have been a bit prejudiced in regards to tweeters and the like. Just a prejudice perhaps. I've put a lot of thought and work into getting midrange out of the port. A long vertical port slot has proved quite pleasing, I ranted about that a bit earlier in the thread.

Cool, Duke's a good guy and I've really enjoyed hanging out with him. He does put some very interesting spins on his cab designs. My main thing is electric upright and I find that a high quality tweeter is
absolutely mandatory in my situation. We all have prejudices in one way or another, and I consider that a very good thing. :cool:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.