Making my own Turret setting tool. What bevel? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th June 2012, 05:53 PM   #1
JimT is offline JimT  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Making my own Turret setting tool. What bevel?

I am going to make my own turret tool. What angle should I make the bevel on the tool used to spread out the end to lock the turret onto the board? I am actually thinking on using an old centre punch but the bevel may be too far off "good".

Seems I should have called this a turret staking tool.

Thanks
Jim

Last edited by JimT; 7th June 2012 at 06:26 PM.
Old 7th June 2012, 08:40 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

depends on the business end of the actual turrets...
I'd try to buy one myself, unless it is a simple bevel... you can scope out the same turret commercially installed and try to see what was done.

iirc, they are usually installed using a *press* not by a hammer blow... so there is a two sided affair, one that holds the long side of the turret, with the board - the other side gets the tool that presses... some tools I have seen do a composite push out and then round over or flatten...

You do not want to expand the part that goes through the board because that can crack the board...

_-_-bear
Old 8th June 2012, 12:15 PM   #3
Trout is offline Trout  United States
diyAudio Member

This Might Help

I made my own a few years back. The anvil is actually more important than the install technique.
I made an additional staking tool out of an old drift punch, a light tap with a 6oz girly hammer is all it takes. As long as the anvil it sized correctly you shouldn't have any problem.
Old 8th June 2012, 12:34 PM   #4
scid714 is offline scid714  United States
diyAudio Member

I made my own out of 3/8" bolts and a grinder. Go to tubedepot.com they have a PDF on making your own staking tool. But anymore i just press fit the turrets seem to work just dandy.
Old 8th June 2012, 03:06 PM   #5
JimT is offline JimT  Canada
diyAudio Member

Thanks to all.

I went to the TubeDepot site. Theirs looks to be about 110 degrees. My centre punch should be fine. I will make an anvil as well. I will probably use my drill press for this, but as I have a bit of a hammer collection, one of the small ones should work in a pinch.

Thanks
Jim
Old 9th June 2012, 01:07 PM   #6
Trout is offline Trout  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scid714 View Post
I made my own out of 3/8" bolts and a grinder. Go to tubedepot.com they have a PDF on making your own staking tool. But anymore i just press fit the turrets seem to work just dandy.
Same here and you brought up a very important part.

Drilling the board for a snug to press fit is actually more important than the bevel angle of the punch.
I always use .125 board material and bought the correct number drill for the keystone turrets.

Hide this!Advertise here!