Making my own Turret setting tool. What bevel?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am going to make my own turret tool. What angle should I make the bevel on the tool used to spread out the end to lock the turret onto the board? I am actually thinking on using an old centre punch but the bevel may be too far off "good".

Seems I should have called this a turret staking tool.

Thanks
Jim

Last edited:
depends on the business end of the actual turrets...
I'd try to buy one myself, unless it is a simple bevel... you can scope out the same turret commercially installed and try to see what was done.

iirc, they are usually installed using a *press* not by a hammer blow... so there is a two sided affair, one that holds the long side of the turret, with the board - the other side gets the tool that presses... some tools I have seen do a composite push out and then round over or flatten...

You do not want to expand the part that goes through the board because that can crack the board...

_-_-bear

Thanks to all.

I went to the TubeDepot site. Theirs looks to be about 110 degrees. My centre punch should be fine. I will make an anvil as well. I will probably use my drill press for this, but as I have a bit of a hammer collection, one of the small ones should work in a pinch.

Thanks
Jim

I made my own out of 3/8" bolts and a grinder. Go to tubedepot.com they have a PDF on making your own staking tool. But anymore i just press fit the turrets seem to work just dandy.

Same here and you brought up a very important part.

Drilling the board for a snug to press fit is actually more important than the bevel angle of the punch.
I always use .125 board material and bought the correct number drill for the keystone turrets.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.