Buzzing in preamp circuit? - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd June 2012, 10:04 PM   #31
gootee is offline gootee  United States
diyAudio Member

It is possible that you have the wire from the signal to the non-ground end of the input resistor coming from the wrong lug on the input jack.

Can you check with your ohmmeter, between the center connector of the jack, outside the box, to the negative terminal of the battery?

If that is a low reading, then reverse the wires on the jack lugs, inside the box.

On the other hand, if it's correct as is, then there should be a low reading between the ground/shield/outer part of the jack (outside the box) and the negative terminal of the battery.

You could plug your cable in, to do those measurements, if that would be easier, since the other end of the cable will have a tip that should be the center conductor, which should not have a low resistance reading to the negative terminal of the battery.

Even easier would be to plug in the cable and then measure the resistance from the tip to each jack lug, inside the box.
Old 2nd June 2012, 11:32 PM   #32
JGAN is offline JGAN  United States
diyAudio Member

By "center connector," do you mean the tip?
Old 2nd June 2012, 11:49 PM   #33
JGAN is offline JGAN  United States
diyAudio Member

HOLY !@#$%^&* AHHHH THANK YOU SO MUCH TOM!!!!!!! The problem was indeed the jacks being reversed!! How it worked like that and how I missed it I don't know, but I have never been so happy in my life!! Tone sounds so good

Thanks again Tom, and everyone else who replied!!
Old 3rd June 2012, 03:59 AM   #34
gootee is offline gootee  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGAN View Post
HOLY !@#$%^&* AHHHH THANK YOU SO MUCH TOM!!!!!!! The problem was indeed the jacks being reversed!! How it worked like that and how I missed it I don't know, but I have never been so happy in my life!! Tone sounds so good

Thanks again Tom, and everyone else who replied!!
Woo hoo!! I love when that happens!!

But Loudthud is the one who caught it (post 14). So a big thank you to Loudthud!!

Cheers,

Tom

Hide this!Advertise here!