Making a Midi keyboard - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd May 2012, 07:48 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Making a Midi keyboard

Hi there.
I'm new to this site, so please be nice :P

I have an old casio keyboard here which is broken. I opened it up and have it sitting here in front of me. What I want to do is use the existing switches that are there for the keys, and use some sort of microcontroller to output a midi signal.
I'm a electronics hobbyist so I know my way around a circuit board, but I am new to Midi, however I understand the fundamentals of it.

Could someone point me in the right direction as to what IC's to use. Maybes there's already an IC that translates switches into a midi signal?

Thanks!
Old 3rd May 2012, 08:02 PM   #2
N Brock is offline N Brock  United States
diyAudio Member

Are the keys just switches (on/off) or do the have velocity information as well?

If they're just switches you can use an arduino pretty easily to do this. There are tons of examples online for midi + arduino.

Good luck,
Nelson
Old 3rd May 2012, 08:12 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hmm, I'm not sure what the name of these types of switches are. If you've ever opened a game console controller, its the switches that are on the buttons.
As far as I know, they are just on/off, and they work just like on/offs, so for the sake of this project, lets just assume they are on/off :P
Old 3rd May 2012, 08:23 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

See Home he is giving away the scanning software he wrote. See also MIDI & Sound Modules for various other approachs. You have to set the default view yourself at more than 1 day, as the moderator there doesn't want visitors to see anything for some reason.
Old 3rd May 2012, 08:29 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Would I be correct in saying that what I need is a Midi encoder?
Old 3rd May 2012, 08:48 PM   #6
sreten is online now sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

If the Casio has midi out surely its easiest to fix the Casio ?

rgds, sreten.
Old 3rd May 2012, 08:53 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hi there,
Unfortunately, there's no midi on this keyboard.

Its a Casio MA-201 for anyone that cares.
Old 4th May 2012, 12:00 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

kinkennon is giving away midi encoding scanning software for a standard $59 single IC computer with 64 inputs. He has a link to the vendor. If you want to buy an encoder, you are near midiboutique in Bulgaria. They sell both note-on-note-off encoders for one contact, and velocity encoders for two contacts. Many people on the the midi organ forum listed above like artisan in Washingon State.
Old 4th May 2012, 04:37 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by platinum95 View Post
Hi there.
I'm new to this site, so please be nice :P

I have an old casio keyboard here which is broken. I opened it up and have it sitting here in front of me. What I want to do is use the existing switches that are there for the keys, and use some sort of microcontroller to output a midi signal.
I'm a electronics hobbyist so I know my way around a circuit board, but I am new to Midi, however I understand the fundamentals of it.

Could someone point me in the right direction as to what IC's to use. Maybes there's already an IC that translates switches into a midi signal?

Thanks!
I designed and built this critter from 1989 to 1995 and owned it until 2003. All 3 manuals and the pedal board are MIDI with velocity. The processor was an Intel 8031 for each keyboard with external ROM and an 8255 parallel port to send and receive to the switch matrices. Most folks don't do this but RS-232 drivers make excellent MIDI drivers - much more robust than using 74HC04 inverters. Send me an email and you can have the software if for nothing else as a working example. The stops control has capture function (combination action) that runs MIDI SYSEX messages. The streams were all combined with an Anatek studio merge that sent to both windchests in parallel. It isn't very difficult but it's important to not have any bugs.

haskey.com - John Haskey - Residence Pipe Organ

G
Old 7th May 2012, 10:22 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Doepfer has some ready made solutions as well, for switches to midi, pots to midi, and I think also keyboard scanning stuff (and complete midi keyboards of course).

Hide this!Advertise here!