Difference between SED C and Svetlana C ? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th April 2012, 06:43 PM   #11
bigdh31 is offline bigdh31  United States
diyAudio Member

Winged "C" tubes are made by SED SPb, a division of J.S.C. Svetlana in St. Petersburg, Russia. SED tubes are well known for their quality and superb tonal characteristics.

The Svetlana 6L6GC tube is manufactured at the New Sensor Corp. owned Xpo-Pul factory (also known as Reflektor) in Saratov, Russia.

from www.thetubestore.com - Your online source for amplifier tubes!

If memory serves me there was a legal conflict over the Svetlana name and the winged "C" name was adopted by SED to solve the issue. Until this occurred they used the Svetlana name on their tubes.
Old 30th April 2012, 03:58 AM   #12
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Since this question relates to tubes that are going to be used in a guitar amp this actually belongs in Instruments & Amps.. Possibly someone there will have so advice on tone and durability issues. (Moved)
Old 30th April 2012, 09:12 PM   #13
Trout is offline Trout  United States
diyAudio Member

The Winged "C" tubes are pretty much known as the top choice as current production 6L6GC's. I have been using several sets for years without issue. In fact, I have never had one fail out of 5 quads so far.

I use them in my Tweed Bassman & Tweed Bandmaster.
Old 30th April 2012, 10:33 PM   #14
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

New Sensor, the people behind Sovtek, EH (Electroharmonix), and some other rsurrections of old tube brand names, bought or otherwise got the rights to sell tubes under the Svetlana name in the USA. SO they are selling their tubes from that same factory that makes the Sovteks with Svenlana on them.

In the USA, the WInged C tubes are the ones from the original St.Petersburg factory. They can;t sell them in the USA as "Svetlana" though.

SO in the USA, the Winged C tubes are the "real" Svetlana tubes.

Whether one is better than the other is a matter of personal choice. I like the Winged C tubes a lot, myself.
Old 2nd May 2012, 08:40 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quality depends on what the factory QA team is doing today. A good team can be driven to sloth by new management, or allowed to slip. Someone can also bribe a guard to tap into the reject bin and sell a bunch of **** with a great logo on it. Things change day to day.
The base problems with Soviet brands it that the logos weren't allowed to be legally registered in the US before 1990, so the "quality" brand logos can be copied. Furthermore the well known logos in the US were owned by the importer, and not the factory, so sources can change. The situation is further complicated by the Russian factories or the US importer recently has bought up quality old UK and US logos to sell under, as if the logo was important and not the construction and QA team performance. Two volume tube vendors in the US are my main interpreters of the confusing situation. Some other vendors are followed by various other customers. If you live in Europe, you're on your own at this point as to what the logos mean.
Old 4th May 2012, 06:49 AM   #16
nazaroo is offline nazaroo  Canada
Sin Bin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavebourn View Post
I think it is all about one factory in St. Petersburg that used to be a factory in Leningrad that before that was called Petrograd.
...LOL!

...and the old man who worked there when asked,
"And where would you like to live now?"

Answer: "St Petersburg!"

Hide this!Advertise here!