looking for a good/great guitar speaker. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd April 2012, 02:07 PM   #1
60ndown is offline 60ndown  United States
diyAudio Member

Default looking for a good/great guitar speaker.

I'd like to build the guitarist in our band a speaker/cab for his guitar. we're getting older and carrying the 4x10 he has now is just no fun.He is an awesome guitarist that can get almost any sound/effect/style he wants 'at will'

needs to get reasonably loud (he has a 'mesa' head) im really looking for a great 10 or 12 inch guitar speaker that will either work alone as a full range or i can add a tweeter of some kind??

i can build almost any box for it.

would like to keep the driver aound the $100 mark

hes on the left, wearing a white hat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgjLU...feature=relmfu

id like this cab to impress him a little by producing some great/fun/shocking sounds

single 10" or 12" ??

any ideas?

Last edited by 60ndown; 2nd April 2012 at 02:12 PM.
Old 2nd April 2012, 02:52 PM   #2
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

No way is a single 12 going to equal the SPL of a 4 x 10 cabinet using the same head.

You are not going to impress him.

What he/you could do is to use one of the ultra high power 15" or 12" Eminence drivers, the ones that can handle a kW of power and put a similarly high powered class D amp behind it, and let him get the tone out of the Mesa or some other "head" or preamp. Otherwise you can't equal the SPL...

The other choice is to chop up the 4x10 into 2x10 boxes or 4 single boxes - an easier carry... by chop up I mean make new lightweight boxes...

Or get a roadie.

_-_-bear

PS. $100 bux isn't realistic for a new driver today.

Last edited by bear; 2nd April 2012 at 02:57 PM.
Old 2nd April 2012, 03:10 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

big volume is not what im looking for here, moderate volume is plenty, as a band we're not that loud,

but impressive/interesting tone/s over-tone/s

is what im after......

drivers dont have to be expensive to be good

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LINE-6-LINE6...item5adf52584e

never mind i think ive found my imfo

http://www.webervst.com/bt9908.htm

Last edited by 60ndown; 2nd April 2012 at 03:14 PM.
Old 2nd April 2012, 11:05 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I've had great results with Weber speakers! They're my favorite, for sure. "full range" doesn't apply to guitar amplification. You will not need tweeters. As for the volume issue, bear is right. A single 12 won't provide a whole lot of volume compared to the existing 4x10 setup.

Celestion is good, too, but in my opinion they can be overpriced, whereas Weber has very competitive pricing.
Old 3rd April 2012, 05:53 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Line 6 sells soundcards mated to car power amps in a package that looks like a guitar amp. They generally have relatively decent speakers, almost anything sounds good with decent speakers. But they are not a go-to.

Guitars don't want tweeters, tuned boxes or anything like that. Guitar cabs are mostly fortunate accidents of the late 50s and early 60s that have evolved in the following decades. Ignore TS and build a likely sized box and put a good driver in it. Weber is among the best.
Old 4th April 2012, 03:27 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

well after reading this the other day

Guitar Player Speaker Shootout

i remembered i had these in storage

driver identification needed

i built a quick box and we tried them last night at rehearsal

a resounding success
Old 4th April 2012, 04:20 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

This thread caught my attention as I'm also going to build a new cabinet (likely a 2x12) later this year. I was going to suggest something like an Eminence Wizard. I was planning to try those. After reading that speaker shootout you posted, I'm thinking I may combine a Wizard with a Weber P12B. At home right now I have my cousin's cabinets. One is a Carr 2x12 loaded with Eminence Legend customs (for Carr), and the other is a Reinhardt 2x12 (oversized) loaded with a Weber Bulldog (blue British series) and a custom Reinhardt speaker. The Reinhardt cab is a lot nicer than the Carr. Very well rounded tone. Smooth bass, creamy mids and clear highs without being harsh.
Old 4th April 2012, 04:24 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

There's a shootout of 15 12" guitar speakers in the current issue of Guitar Player.
Old 22nd August 2012, 03:55 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

There is a new hot kid on the block: Warehouse Guitar Speakers, WGS.

The Blackhawk 50w and 100w are awesome speakers, as well as many of the other they manufacture.

Copies of the old Celestions as they use to be made.

Best regards
Arthur.
Old 22nd August 2012, 05:53 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

As it happens, the Rheinhardt speaker mentioned above was made by WGS.

I'm a big fan of WGS, and have samples of most of their line. I prefer them to Webers, especially now Ted is gone. Ted had a pretty good ear, but the guys at WGS really nail it.

That said, I do believe Scumbacks and ASWs are worth the money. Granted, it's a lot of money for a guitar speaker, but if you're into spending thousands on your guitar and amp, they're worth every penny to make the most of what you've already got.

Hide this!Advertise here!