Is this a class D amplifier? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th March 2012, 01:19 PM   #1
Banned

Default Is this a class D amplifier?

hello,

does this amplifier contain a Class D amplifier?

ID:100TVP Guitar Amplifier - Blackstar Amplification
Old 25th March 2012, 02:51 PM   #2
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

no idea it doesnt give any clue as to what type of amp it uses, but it does spout some dubious marketing fluff about valve power TM

Quote:
When engaged it delivers the response, dynamics, sag and break-up characteristics of a valve amp and uniquely delivers the same acoustic power output as an equivalent valve power amp. This means that for the first time ever, in an affordable series of amplifiers, these products deliver live without compromise - True Valve Power means LOUD as valve™.
which also seems to have made it past the proof reader without grammatical error checking

Last edited by qusp; 25th March 2012 at 02:54 PM.
Old 25th March 2012, 03:17 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

one thing is for sure it isnt a valve amp and nor does it contain ANY valves. perhaps you have made the all too common mistake of thinking that anything that has digital inputs or may be a digital amp, is class D? if so then please forget that. CLASS D has nothing to do with being digital. given its only 100W there is a good chance its class AB, but it could just as easily be class D; not a chance its Class A
Old 26th March 2012, 03:35 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

The amplifier in the first post is a tube amp. If you look at "features" you will see that.
Old 26th March 2012, 04:19 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Looks like it may be DSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawreyrw View Post
The amplifier in the first post is a tube amp. If you look at "features" you will see that.
I looked, and read, and looked agaain.... and it sure is ambiguous! They also talk about MIDI control, DSP based eq, etc.....

I'm thinking they are using tube emulation in DSP and are not actually using any valves/tubes at all.

That "spec sheet" is a masterful example of obfuscation. How trustworthy. Makes me want to run right out and buy one.

So as for class D, or A or A/B or valves... we're not likely to find out from their marketing materials, and maybe that's how they want it. Tube/valve "emulation" is not exactly a new feature in the DSP world.
Old 26th March 2012, 04:23 AM   #6
lowpoke is offline lowpoke  Australia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to lowpoke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Caldwell View Post
I'm thinking they are using tube emulation in DSP and are not actually using any valves/tubes at all.
This is the impression I get from their text as well.
Old 26th March 2012, 05:18 AM   #7
benb is offline benb  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Don't think so. This is a "sound like a tube" amp. One of the "features" I see is:
Quote:
Voice - select from 6 classic channels (EL84, 6V6, EL34, KT66, 6L6, KT88)
This is even "better"
Quote:
Blackstar's patent-applied-for True Valve Power offers six distinctly different power valve responses - EL84, 6V6, EL34, KT66, 6L6, KT88.
  • EL84 - 'Bell like full bodied Class A with lots of compression'
  • 6V6 - 'Crisp Class A with high compression and tight mids'
  • EL34 - 'Classic British Class A/B crunch with full bodied soft break up'
  • KT66 - 'Rich and warm vintage British hot biased Class A/B'
  • 6L6 - 'Tight dynamic Class A/B with extended highs and lows'
  • KT88 - 'Tight, bold and dynamic Class A/B with strong low end'
When engaged it delivers the response, dynamics, sag and break-up characteristics of a valve amp and uniquely delivers the same acoustic power output as an equivalent valve power amp. This means that for the first time ever, in an affordable series of amplifiers, these products deliver live without compromise - True Valve Power means LOUD as valve™.
I'd be very surprised if it has a pair of each of those tubes, or ANY tube at all in it. "True Valve Power" is just the name, not a description, just like "Vine Ripe" tomatoes that aren't actually ripened on the vine.

I'd guess it's a solid state class AB power amplifier, though it could indeed be a Class D (solid-state, of course) output. The preamp section has all the solid-state distortion simulation circuitry or more likely DSP emulation/simulation of such tube output circuits. With its 128 presets and the ability to select between them with the MIDI input it's without a doubt got a microcontroller.
Quote:
Question: Can I get a schematic for my Blackstar amp?
Answer: For safety legislation reasons, we only provide schematics to authorised Blackstar Service Centres and technicians.
I suspect it's all DSP chips and a couple of LM3886's.
Old 26th March 2012, 06:40 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
the marketing chaps must love you
Old 26th March 2012, 06:55 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
Don't think so. This is a "sound like a tube" amp.
I suspect it's all DSP chips and a couple of LM3886's.
I dunno, those LM3886's might cost too much for an item like this!
Those 100 watts they advertise are probably like the PMPO watts the old school sleaze-bags used to advertise for consumer audio gear, like the "500 Megawatt" boomboxes or the 12,000 watt car amplifiers of yore.

This is probably made in China for under $20.00 for the whole setup.

The chances that this will actually sound or perform anything like a tube amp?
My guess is that it isn't gonna be so good.

But I do admire their obfuscation, gotta learn how to write better materials for my own stuff!
Old 26th March 2012, 07:51 AM   #10
Banned

sorry guys but i would mention that i have nothing to do with Blackstar...however, Jim Marshall is down in writing as saying that the engineer at blackstar is the best engineer that he ever had at marshall. (Blackstar grew when some of the Marshall engineering team left to pursue their ideas of quality sound)

Im not slating Marshall but from experience i know what they mean......ive worked in lots of big rich companys where the MD had made his money, and now just chunters the company along and stifles any new innovation because the poor chap is burnt out from the work that he did making the company what it is.

Hide this!Advertise here!