Broken Mesa Dual Rectifier - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th February 2012, 12:09 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Broken Mesa Dual Rectifier

I have been doing some work on an audio interface for recording and in the process, I made a bad connection... I shorted out the speaker on my Mesa 100W head for several seconds. Now, when I turn it on, it is noisy even when the output is set to zero. Would you recommend just taking it to a pro or trying to fix it myself? There sounds like there is something loose on the inside. It still plays but the signal to noise ratio is worse than I remember it being.

I have experience with electronics, but I am by no means a pro. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by Littlebilly91; 27th February 2012 at 12:20 AM. Reason: Updated Amp Status
Old 27th February 2012, 12:20 AM   #2
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Since this is a musical instrument amplifier I'm moving it to Instrument & Amplifiers per forum policy. Please see the header at the top of Tubes / Valves..
Old 27th February 2012, 04:21 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Since you don't have experience i would recommend taking it to a tech. but it could be either power transformer or output transformer thats damaged or maybe both. may also be worth changing the tubes.
Old 27th February 2012, 11:33 PM   #4
Minion is offline Minion  Canada
diyAudio Member

Sounds like a fried output transformer , a pretty expensive fix , get it to a tech .......

Hide this!Advertise here!