Bass cab configuration

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Someone suggested these to me for a PA:

MCM Audio Select 15'' Die Cast Professional Woofer - 400W RMS 8ohm | 55-1880 (551880) | MCM Audio Select

But from reading the reviews, I want to throw them in a bass cab!!

Anyone know how they stack up again EVM15L? (Apparently the speakers in Mesa Diesel cabs)

My ideal bass configuration is a Mesa Bass 400 into a 1x15 + 4x10. I like the sound of a 2x15 and an 8x10, but those cabs are just way too big to be loading night after night.

I like a really dirty, presencey scooped bass tone to be used for crust, dbeat, sludge, doom, grind, black metal, and stench musical styles. Could use any potential amp + pedal configuration, whatever you suggest. Five string bass tuned to C standard, so the lowest note is gonna be G0, or 24.5 Hz. :p

What about having two separate cabs for 15 and 10s vs building one cab with a 1x15 & 4x10s? How would that sound different?

What about biamping?

Small horn on the 1x15?

What speakers for the 10s?

Thanks!!

That woofer is everything that those claims state !
I know becuase I used them.
Although when I had them I never got the chance to use them in a custom cabinet made just for them as I used then in a Stock Sunn 215 cabinet and EV three way road cased P.A. cabinet with stock ports.

Those cabinets should have been retuned but I never got the chance to do so.
They were a little shy on the low end but not too much (in which was expected) and giving them some power and a little EQ due to being unproperly tuned (in a smaller box) they gave you that nice slam in the chest.

So, I don't know how correct the stated parameters are but the power ratings are what is stated if not more.
I used to run a pair of them on a Bridged Ashley FTX2000 at 1000watts for long periods and never had a burnout or any issue with them what so ever.

They are incredible drivers !

Cheers!!

jer :)

Last edited:
Yes, I would definitely go with biamping in any P.A. application.

I used those drivers in my guitar rig mainly but as I said they worked great for the little P.A Cabinets that I had as well.

For what you are describing you might want to consider using some 18's for the P.A depending on the size of the venues.

In the band that I worked sound for we had 4 18" Cerwin Vega's in some compact fold horns similar to a few of the designs that I have seen here.

4 of those things would fill a large room quite nicely and in some small ones two was overkill.

For the tops we use some custom made Peavey 3020ht look-a-likes for midranges, and if I remember correctly only 15's and/or 10's were working,

Peavey 3020HT speakers $400.00for both. Photos from J. martinez (King Music Co.) on Myspace

and some very wide older JBL horns on the top.
I don't remember the model but you sure could tell the difference without them.

We used to use just one of those stacks when we did our on the beach gig on sundays in Fort Meyers Fla. and it held its own very well even outside.

Many times I had the chance to use the house's system and many had Peavy SP-1's and these worked quite well with just adding our bass bins and these or SP-2's can be found fairly cheap used as well, But I do understand your budget constraints.

I had about 3000 to 5000 watts of power at my disposal and even though it was quite adequate the band (Yasgur's,Kirk Richards, out of Bonita Springs, He has some YouTube video's if you want to check them out) was a loud one and many times I found my self running out of power when it got rockin' !

Hopefully I will have my 10's up and running soon and then I can tell you if those drivers are worth getting.

Just for what its worth.

Jer :)

Last edited:
Yes, I would say so,I don't see any reason for why not,for the most part.

Guitar speaker for the most part are a little different as their frequency response curve is what determines how they are going to sound and how it makes the harmonic characteristic of the amp sound.

The Pyle 10's that I got show to be a fairly clean speaker with a flat response until about 3.5khz to 4khz,
I expect this speaker to be not as bright sounding as some for regular guitar, But still have just enough.
Maybe a little mellow and laid back a bit compared to the stock alnico's that were originaly in my cabinet.
But they do show a bit of boost around 80hz to 100hz in the simulations for my 610.
I like this, as it should give a nice chunky and ballsy sound on the power chords and low E.
For me this is good as I had always had to use at least one 15 with it through the years for some low end.
Just as long as they aren't as bright as my old Jensen 12's or the 12" Peavy Scorpians that are in my Renown I think they will be perfect.

jer :)

I guess my concern is the amount of gain they can handle. Celestion has told me that guitar speakers are limited by several factors, one of which is how much gain the signal has. I would imagine the extra harmonics add more stress to the cone or whatever.

Now I want a bass speaker that can handle a lot of low end, probably lower gain of course, but the 10" speakers I want to break up nicely and work well for a sweet dirty bass tone.

Does that make sense?

Also, for the sound I am going for (can post clips if needed), would you suggest biamping? Or Xover?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.