Oh no! Portable Amp Revamped! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th February 2012, 09:13 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Oh no! Portable Amp Revamped!

I know I know, how many times has this been discussed?
And from a newbie, honestly the nerve of some people...

Recently hacked together a pretty decent portable, LOUD portable/battery powered amp out of a car amp. Original huh? I heard a lot about this, mainly negative. But then again, I doubt many a running a 1926 Colin Mezin violin into it.
ATM, it goes Violin (Shatten Tranducer pickup on bridge) -> L.R Baggs ParaAcoustic DI/preamp -> low input on Proton 222 car amp (22w x2 Channels @4 ohms) -> 15w 4ohm speakers x2. Speakers wired in parallel taking one channel of the amp so that's 44w to 30w speakers @2 ohms. Yes the amp says it can handle 2 4 and 8 ohm loads. I guess that was obvious. It's a car amp.
Works brilliant. Using the volume on the Baggs I can't go past half way cos I have nice neighbors. 12v 9AH SLA battery, well....its only ever taken 5-10mins to charge. Might downgrade to 6 or even 4.2AH and use one speaker. Heavy as a beech.

Now I want to integrate a LM386 chip amp design I've built (must REbuild, sweat and veroboard = no good) in front of the Proton using the High input. You can find it here:
http://hammer.ampage.org/files/PocketRockit.PDF

Reasons: it's got nice sounding gain, has a good tonestack and gives me a volume control on the amp itself.
Questions: Can it be done? Am I to expect a lot of noise even if going thru the high inputs? Anything I need to consider/not thinking of yet.

Your feedback is needed. Just no high pitched screeching about a car amp sounding shite.

EDIT: Done and dusted. Hot dang! Very loud, clean and nice distortion. Will easily compete next to my 50w Marshall it give it a run for it's money. That's what I'm talkin about!

Last edited by Fiddlesticks; 28th February 2012 at 01:29 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!