Amps... where to start?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys,

I'm new around here, new to electronics and a lover of guitars (not really a guitarist yet).
I didn't know where to post so... here it goes...

As I said i'm a newbie on electronics, done some stuff, tried to read some schematics, some I've been successful eheh.
I'm thinking of moving to the guitar amp stuff. Where should I start? I don't want kits because they're kind of expensive (from Portugal). Unless I buy the components and use the schematics... Anyway... Where should I start? What amp should I build? I guess tubes is too much for my knowledge now no?

Thanks... checking it... It seems pretty easy (by the photo, the schematics kind of wtf's me)

But what o you mean by having to add a preamp? Doesn't this LM3886 do that already?
Isn't that the all point? (newbie questions sorry)

What about speaker columns for the guitar amp? Is there any "guide"?

You need to think a small tube amp for guitar work....They are "easy" to build.........Using Solid State for a Guitar amp is .....well...Blasphemy.
Speaker cabinets are usually use super-high efficient drivers......say one 10" driver in a 36" high by 18" wide, by 12" deep, open back.
Just throwing out ideas here.

________________________________________________________Rick.......

Attachments

• deluxe_5e3_schem.gif
    deluxe_5e3_schem.gif
    30.1 KB · Views: 153
Is this schematic easy to make? "Easy" since an amp like this won't never be easy. Of course that the idea is to do tube amps but since i've no experience... You tell me! Since you're more experienced.

What kind of driver / speaker should I be looking for? Since i'm interested in making a cabinet for guitar use.

Thanks by the way.

hi mate... I am the same as you.. I know nothing about electronics or amplifiers. I turned up here one day when i was looking for something to do.

I liked the idea of having a go at building a amp, and as my old trusty Sony was no longer trusty and blew itself up... I went for it.

I chose a LM4870 kit from Audiosector... I have no reason or logic in choosing this kit, it was just the spare of the minute and it was ordered.

I had never soldered before and have almost zero knowledge of electronics, the kit however was pretty easy to put together. Any help I needed was always here, and replies to posts are pretty quick usualy. After building the kit up I got an enclosure and all the plugs sockets and speaker connects and got it all fitted in. After fitting all together and testing I connected the speakers...... I gotta say, its the best sounding amp i have ever owned. It cost me around £200 to build and was worth every penny.

So my advice is... bite the bullet, get a kit and have a go. Take your time and work to your own budget, you will not be dissapointed. Good luck!

Thanks... checking it... It seems pretty easy (by the photo, the schematics kind of wtf's me)

But what o you mean by having to add a preamp? Doesn't this LM3886 do that already?
Isn't that the all point? (newbie questions sorry)

What about speaker columns for the guitar amp? Is there any "guide"?

The preamp may be needed to amplify the guitar enough to be used by the main amp. It can/will also have tone controls.

While tube amps are nicer, like the other poster said you can save it for the next project.

Is this schematic easy to make? "Easy" since an amp like this won't never be easy. Of course that the idea is to do tube amps but since i've no experience... You tell me! Since you're more experienced.

Valve amps are easy to build - but they are very EXPENSIVE to build - solid state amps are a fraction of the price for much higher powers.

It really depends what you're looking for and what style of music you play, but many guitarists prefer the lower quality of valve amps, the limited frequency response and high distortion are effects many seek.

Best place to start is...

...what kind of music do you want to play? Just starting out, will you be interested in a practice amp for at home? I would suggest...

Professor Tweed

http://www.runoffgroove.com/professor1.mp3
http://www.runoffgroove.com/professor2.mp3

... and then a IC amp of 4-12 watts running into a 8" speaker.

Tube amps are nice to have but that can be for the next amp, right?

I want to play rock, blues... That kind of thing. At long term I want an amp to use everywhere (no problem with neighbors eheh) but since it's a first project , sure why not a practice amp?
I have all the time in the world so... I can wait so I can develop my knowledge and then advance to tube. That's why I've made this topic otherwise I would build a Framus right away ehehe.

The preamp may be needed to amplify the guitar enough to be used by the main amp. It can/will also have tone controls.

While tube amps are nicer, like the other poster said you can save it for the next project.

Oh I see what you mean. Does that Professor Tweed (by the way nice sound) do that already?

Valve amps are easy to build - but they are very EXPENSIVE to build - solid state amps are a fraction of the price for much higher powers.

It really depends what you're looking for and what style of music you play, but many guitarists prefer the lower quality of valve amps, the limited frequency response and high distortion are effects many seek.

As I said early, If I could, I would go right away with a Framus amp so... I like valve amps. But what you said is really relevant. I don't want to spend tons of money, at least for now.

I'd start off with something dead simple, like the Ruby. For what it is, it sounds great.

Seems interesting. I guess I like a bit more the Professor Tweed but I don't know.

Thanks for the ideas by the way! Keep on replying!
I was checking yesterday the speakers of my Marshall Valvestate. The only things that i remember are that it is 100w each and Celestion Gold (for the cabinet idea). Kind of expensive these.

Best place to start is...

...what kind of music do you want to play? Just starting out, will you be interested in a practice amp for at home? I would suggest...

Professor Tweed

http://www.runoffgroove.com/professor1.mp3
http://www.runoffgroove.com/professor2.mp3

... and then a IC amp of 4-12 watts running into a 8" speaker.

Tube amps are nice to have but that can be for the next amp, right?

I want to play rock, blues... That kind of thing. At long term I want an amp to use everywhere (no problem with neighbors eheh) but since it's a first project , sure why not a practice amp?
I have all the time in the world so... I can wait so I can develop my knowledge and then advance to tube. That's why I've made this topic otherwise I would build a Framus right away ehehe.

Oh I see what you mean. Does that Professor Tweed (by the way nice sound) do that already?

As I said early, If I could, I would go right away with a Framus amp so... I like valve amps. But what you said is really relevant. I don't want to spend tons of money, at least for now.

I'd start off with something dead simple, like the Ruby. For what it is, it sounds great.

Seems interesting. I guess I like a bit more the Professor Tweed but I don't know.

Thanks for the ideas by the way! Keep on replying!
I was checking yesterday the speakers of my Marshall Valvestate. The only things that i remember are that it is 100w each and Celestion Gold (for the cabinet idea). Kind of expensive these.

The Professor Tweed was designed as a guitar pedal but it can work nicely as a preamp into a SS amp. It has a basic tone control as was the case when Fender Tweed amps were new. The tone control is a little different if you do not know how it works. If the volume control is at maximum you the tone control does not have any treble boost but as you turn it down it rolls off the highs. If the volume control is turned down some then the treble is bypassed around the volume pot when the tone pot is turned up. It actually works well.

The Professor Tweed was designed as a guitar pedal but it can work nicely as a preamp into a SS amp. It has a basic tone control as was the case when Fender Tweed amps were new. The tone control is a little different if you do not know how it works. If the volume control is at maximum you the tone control does not have any treble boost but as you turn it down it rolls off the highs. If the volume control is turned down some then the treble is bypassed around the volume pot when the tone pot is turned up. It actually works well.

Well... I don't know what the hell you just said but it seems fine for my ears. So I'll need this Professor Tweed and then SS amp. Any SS amp already made? I have a not very interesting one laying around the house, a crate. Of course that then I want to build the ss amp also. I just need to start understand everything and what's the difference between the preamp and the amp. I thought it was all the same.

Perhaps it seems you should go the SS route at this point as tube gear might dissuade you...The next part will be the speaker...to make the sound.
Guitar set-ups are usually referred to as the "Head" (The amplifier) a small unit atop a "Cab" ( Short for Cabinet, or speaker cabinet) The set-up has the amp atop a cabinet, rather industrial in nature, rugged, built to last....or rather built for travel....being moved around & capable of sustaining cosmetic damage but still functional. The "other half" of the equation is the speaker cabinet.
Guitar speaker drivers have a "tone" or sound all their own. Guitar speakers do not "faithfully", accurately reproduce the input signal....they all have tonal "personalities". A simple open-backed box, probably made of plywood & overbuilt, housing one 'Lead guitar type speaker will do you just fine for years to come.

______________________________________________________Rick.........

Attachments

• Redcoat.jpg
    Redcoat.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 62
Perhaps it seems you should go the SS route at this point as tube gear might dissuade you...The next part will be the speaker...to make the sound.
Guitar set-ups are usually referred to as the "Head" (The amplifier) a small unit atop a "Cab" ( Short for Cabinet, or speaker cabinet) The set-up has the amp atop a cabinet, rather industrial in nature, rugged, built to last....or rather built for travel....being moved around & capable of sustaining cosmetic damage but still functional. The "other half" of the equation is the speaker cabinet.
Guitar speaker drivers have a "tone" or sound all their own. Guitar speakers do not "faithfully", accurately reproduce the input signal....they all have tonal "personalities". A simple open-backed box, probably made of plywood & overbuilt, housing one 'Lead guitar type speaker will do you just fine for years to come.

______________________________________________________Rick.........

Thanks for the explanation. I knew most of what you said but still I really appreciate this reply.

From what i'm seeing, the Professor Tweed isn't that easy but it seems to me a good challenge! Some components I have like the transistors, some capacitors and some resistors but still... I have to buy a lot of these... Including potentiometers... I'll have to go to ebay!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.