Fender FM 212 popping sound when switching off

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I have a 5-6 year old Fender FM 212R solid state guitar amp which had some problems recently. After a gigging, it started to make crackling noises even if every volume pots were turned down, it did it with every cable, with or without any guitars. Also, it made a loud popping sound when switching off the amp, regardless of the volume settings, it made that sound even if the amp is muted (no jacks plugged in). The crackling noises could be summoned by hitting the top of the amp, so I thought that there are some broke solders inside. So I disassembled the amp, and fixed these issues. Voila, the crackling noises gone, but the loud pop when switching off it remained..

Does anybody have some clue what could be the problem?

Thanks in advance!

Tom

Thanks for the reply!

I have another 212 combo and two fm100h heads with 412 cabinets, and none of them makes this popping sound. I want to repair it, because we run a rehearsal room and a bad amp makes bad reputation for us. Does anybody have any idea how to repair it?
Thanks!

OK then. Leave the power switch ON, but unplug the amp from the wall. Does it still pop that way? Electrically the two methods - switch of pull cord - are the same.

If that still pops, then your pop is likely a turn-off thump. That can be a million things.

If that does not pop, then your power switch is sparking and the amp circuit picks that up as power dies away. A cap across the switch might help, or even just a different switch. Should be easy enough to wire in a different switch to see if that changes things.

Does the amp behave properly otherwise?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.