Amp sounds better at 45 degree angle ... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th January 2012, 11:52 PM   #1
Minion is offline Minion  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Amp sounds better at 45 degree angle ...

Hi , I built this amp a few months ago and it sounds great accept it sounds best when I stand at a 45 degree angle to the speaker , the closer I move to directly in front of the speaker the more tinny and brittle it sounds , it doesn"t sound bad but just not as good as at 45 degrees .....

So the first question I guess is why ?? (some sort of phaze thing ?? )

Second question is how can I get the sound directly in front of the speaker to sound like it does at a 45 degree angle ??

Thanx

PS: The amp has a solidstate overdrive stage then into two 12ax7 stages (one 12ax7 tube) , then into some analogue speaker simulators , then into 4 12ax7 stages (two 12ax7 tubes) then into a tone stack , then through the effects loop into a BBE sonic maximizer , then into a 15 band EQ and then into a DBX compressor and then into a LM3886 power amp into a 12 inch Celestian 50w speaker ......
Old 5th January 2012, 12:18 AM   #2
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minion View Post
PS: The amp has a solidstate overdrive stage then into two 12ax7 stages (one 12ax7 tube) , then into some analogue speaker simulators , then into 4 12ax7 stages (two 12ax7 tubes) then into a tone stack , then through the effects loop into a BBE sonic maximizer , then into a 15 band EQ and then into a DBX compressor and then into a LM3886 power amp into a 12 inch Celestian 50w speaker ......
Be glad that it puts out a signal
But more seriously, I think it has more to do with the loudspeakers, especially when it is a multi-way; these can have phase issues which depend on listening distance and angle.
Old 5th January 2012, 12:43 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieter t View Post
Be glad that it puts out a signal
But more seriously, I think it has more to do with the loudspeakers, especially when it is a multi-way; these can have phase issues which depend on listening distance and angle.
Thanx .... It"s not a multi-way system , just a single guitar speaker .....
Old 5th January 2012, 01:45 AM   #4
godfrey is offline godfrey  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minion View Post
...the closer I move to directly in front of the speaker the more tinny and brittle it sounds , it doesn"t sound bad but just not as good as at 45 degrees ...
I guess most if the treble is being thrown forward. If you equalize it to sound good on axis, then it'll probably sound dull at 45 degrees. Maybe you could mount something directly in front of the cone to soak up some treble or scatter it around?
Old 5th January 2012, 01:57 AM   #5
Trout is offline Trout  United States
diyAudio Member

What speaker?

I often find some of the deeper cone angle speakers tend to do this.
Old 5th January 2012, 02:01 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Its a standard Celestian guitar speaker , it is rebranded as a fender replacement speaker ....... It doesn"t have a covering over the speaker so I"ll try putting a speaker cover over it and see if it dulls down some of the trebble .....

Thanx
Old 5th January 2012, 02:58 AM   #7
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

Some speakers are just naturally "beamy."

Ted Weber makes the "Beam Blocker" for exactly this.

Weber Beam Blocker -- high frequency diffuser
Attached Images
File Type: jpg beam_blockersL.jpg (65.5 KB, 121 views)
Old 5th January 2012, 03:14 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Thanx , thats helpfull , I got some thin memory foam here so maybe I"ll try useing that to dampen the sound ...... Cheers
Old 5th January 2012, 07:26 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

It is normal that a driver that large beams.
If you search around you will find a whole bunch of info about miking of guitar amps for PA or recording where they discuss about the best spot in front of a speaker to place a microphone. And guess what ? There is no such best place because it is a matter of taste.
There was once an article in JAES where thy made masurements with different mic angles and placements in front of a guitar amp and they show remarkable differences in frequency response.

In other words: What you encounter is perfectly normal.

There are different ways to cope with it however:

Listen to it off axis only - this is what needs the least effort. When you practice with a band your mates will most probably hear the off-axis sound only and you will probably be glad to stand on-axis now and then where it has the necessary bite to cut through the rest.

The "anti beaming thingie" can be tried out with other things first to see whether you like it.

And last but not least you could try to correct the frequency response a little within the amp.

You would have to try ount decide what works for you and what you like most.

Regards

Charles
Old 5th January 2012, 08:32 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

How difficult would it be to DIY a beam blocker?

Ikea bowls, anyone?

Hide this!Advertise here!