Fuzz Face

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,
I'm planning to build a Fuzz Face according to the first schematic here : Fuzz Central -- Arbiter Fuzz Face

I have multiple questions that may sound dumb, but I'm totally new to DIY :

- There are multiple versions of the AC128 transistor on Banzai Music :
these : Fuzz Face high gain transistor set :: Transistors (matched / selected) :: Semiconductors :: Electronic Parts :: Banzai Music (there's also a selection of diverse version of the AC128 for different gain settings)
or these : AC128 :: Germanium Transistors :: Transistors :: Semiconductors :: Electronic Parts :: Banzai Music

Why such a price difference ? Which is better ?

- I also want to ditch the battery and operate it only on a 9V adapter, I just have to remove the battery connector and put a 9V connector instead, right ?

This is the same circuit used in the two transistor version of the Vox Tone Bender. I made a lot of them in the late 60's and early 70's. The circuit is very sensitive to the transistor used.

I built a board with transistor sockets and just tried lots of parts. Most PNP transistors will work and create some sound. A few will not. Everything that I tried had a different sound. The unit that I kept for myself for all these years has transistors out of an old Sony radio, 2SB383 I think. If you have any PNP germanium transistors, try them. Anything out of a 60's vintage Japanese transistor radio should work. Most silicon transistors work but don't sound so good.

You can experiment with the resistor values in search of the right sound. I wouldn't go beyond 1/2 to 2X the values shown in the diagram.

The AC128 went extinct a long time ago. There are some "new reproduction" parts but they are likely another type that has been relabled AC128. I don't know anything about the parts you linked to since I have never tried them.

............. I made a lot of them in the late 60's and early 70's................

...........I built a board with transistor sockets and just tried lots of parts. ..................

..........Most silicon transistors work but don't sound so good..........

Me too...... (showing my age..)

A socket is a good idea. The sound you are after may not be found without some experimenting.
Silicon transistors will work but, as said, the sound willnot be right. Stick with germanium.

OC71/72 OC81/82, even OC44/45 ( Mullard types) as well as the AC127, AC128 mentioned.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7-x-oc-71..._Consumer_VintageAudio_RL&hash=item1c21691c1f

Old '60s transistor radios are also a possible source - thrift stores.

Andy.

Last edited:
you can get pnp germanium transistors relatively cheap on ebay that sound really nice in a fuzzface... check out mp16b's...they're russian nos military grade, and they are often in the ballpark hfe's to work really well. i think i got 50 of 'em for like 10 bucks or so, and have been using them in various circuits. the older trannys are more about mojo in my opinion, it's more about voltage and transistor bias than type of transistor, at least to my ears.

If people are looking for more info on the inner workings of fuzzfaces, there's a great article by RG Keen: Technology of the Fuzz Face

Bought Ge pnp's on ebay myself, a guy in the UK sold NOS milspec transistors, about a euro each, so not dirt cheap.
Local hamfests and 60's radio's and taperecorders can also be a good source, found quite a few OC type and AC type this way, for little money (and no guarantee that they are working, and/or are low leakage).

Edit:
These are the ones I bought on eBay.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.