Fuzz Face - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th December 2011, 08:43 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

I think I'll use an enclosure like this one : http://www.banzaimusic.com/Enclosure-DC-B.html

Maybe a larger one, I don't know yet.
Old 6th December 2011, 08:46 PM   #12
shanx is offline shanx  Canada
diyAudio Member

Small Bear Electronics also has a good article on building Fuzz face clone, and discussion of setting resistors to bias properly. They sell Ge transistors for the project so you may want to check for the recommended types and availability.
Links
Old 24th February 2012, 06:00 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

you can get pnp germanium transistors relatively cheap on ebay that sound really nice in a fuzzface... check out mp16b's...they're russian nos military grade, and they are often in the ballpark hfe's to work really well. i think i got 50 of 'em for like 10 bucks or so, and have been using them in various circuits. the older trannys are more about mojo in my opinion, it's more about voltage and transistor bias than type of transistor, at least to my ears.
Old 1st March 2012, 11:11 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

If people are looking for more info on the inner workings of fuzzfaces, there's a great article by RG Keen: Technology of the Fuzz Face

Bought Ge pnp's on ebay myself, a guy in the UK sold NOS milspec transistors, about a euro each, so not dirt cheap.
Local hamfests and 60's radio's and taperecorders can also be a good source, found quite a few OC type and AC type this way, for little money (and no guarantee that they are working, and/or are low leakage).

Edit:
These are the ones I bought on eBay.

Last edited by Jarno; 1st March 2012 at 11:16 AM.
Old 1st March 2012, 03:10 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

these are the ones i've been using, they work great...and at 8 bucks for 45 of them, well..
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MP16B-2N404-...item3cc21a095b
Old 2nd March 2012, 09:10 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Pretty good price, seems to be a reliable seller too. Lots of good stuff.
Old 2nd March 2012, 05:28 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

the hfe's on the trannys have all been useable so far, average is around 100 or so, some are a bit hotter, up to 300 or so, some cooler, from 40-70. really good ranges for fuzzes so far, and not a dud in the bag. some DO get a little leaky, so check 'em out first...socket your trannys, and you'll find good ones.

Hide this!Advertise here!