LINE OUT 5e3 clone help please

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The speaker is a large component of the tone of the amp. A line out will not include the contribution of that speaker. A mic in front of it is simple and effective.

There are "speaker emulation" line outs on some amps. Those include some high end rolloff and maybe some additional massaging to make it sound speaker-ish. Like it or not, up to your ear.

A basic line out is simple enough, from the speaker hot lead, run a resistor to a control to act as a variable vvoltage divider.

There are things called direct boxes, which take a signal and split out a feed for a mixer. Peavey makes one specifically for use between guitar amp and speaker, check it out.
Peavey :: SDI Speaker Level Direct Interface

They make a fancier one for twice that price too. Other companies may make similar items.

thanks again Enzo will give this ago, i assume the trany is just a 1to1 isolating transformer?

"miking the speaker is the only way that works, as it was stated, the speaker plays a huge part it creating the sound."

Ordinarilly I would agree, But in practise hav not been abile to make this work so well. hopin i can tweek the amp so it sounds just as good thru front of house.

Mic in front of amp is used by thousands and thousands. If it doesn;t work for you, try to find out why. For example, don't bring up that mic on the stage monitors, and make sure the mic used can handle the sound level of the speaker. And maybe right in front of the drum kit is a poor placement. And much has been said about mic placement, anything from how far away and from what angle. All experts not in agreement on this.

thanks again Enzo will give this ago, i assume the trany is just a 1to1 isolating transformer?

"miking the speaker is the only way that works, as it was stated, the speaker plays a huge part it creating the sound."

Of course a mic on the speaker will work. But not for indoor practice at night

You can build a "speaker emulator" First get a big power resistor sized for at least double your amp's power. Put this in place of the speaker. Now, a power resistor is a poor speaker emulator. You can add things to it to make it better. The firt step is to add a small inductor in series. Maybe about 1uH made of wire sized for the amp's power. Parts Express has these. They are used for crossover in HiFi speakers Ok now yu have a 1/2 way good speaker emulator

Next step: tap line level off the above. Place a 1M pot across the above emulator and take the signal from the wiper. You could simply use this but better get a small 1:1 audio transformer put the signal in one side and take both leads from the other size to an XLR jack for a balanced output signal.

Next refinement. Your 1M pot likely does not have much usable range so add a fixed resistor in series.

other refinements are to make the speaker emulator better. Adjust the inducter size But it will never be 100% perfect and you are better to just try and fix t up with tone controls on the amp and mixer

the main reason the mic dosnt work to well for me is a lack of co-operation from other muso's, ie stick my mic in front of ma wee 5e3, then a guitarist cranks up a hot rod deville right next to it at 3 times my max output and all I'm micking now is a dmn guitar lol. so this way no interferance from other instraments but dont let me rant on i'll try this and let ya know how it works next jam is on the 17th.

the main reason the mic dosnt work to well for me is a lack of co-operation from other muso's, ie stick my mic in front of ma wee 5e3, then a guitarist cranks up a hot rod deville right next to it...

You missed the part about using an isolation box. This is a big sound proof box and in side it goes your amp (or speaker cab) and the microphone. The entire assembly can be in some back room, off stage

Some times the box rather then having your entire speaker cab inside has only part of one, the front baffle and the speaker,

Box is typically dual wall plywood with sound absorbing foam or fiberglass batting between the plywood sheets

So it don't matter if some other guy plays loud there is sound proofing between him and your mic.

This will give you the idea
VB Guitar Speaker Box

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2011
whats the best way to put a line lvel out put on my fender delux 5e3 clone want to get as close to its sound out put as posabile (Ie that over driven power stage sound) so i can di thru a pa.the amp sounds great its just not loud enough to play with a full band.

Try London Power's Power Scaling or Dana Hall's VVR. Then just connect from the speaker to your PA/monitor feed via a resistor. The scaled output will give you the full crank sound but you still need to rely on the PA to sound big...

Jaz

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.