David Gilmour Guitar Sound - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th November 2011, 08:59 PM   #1
tmblack is offline tmblack  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default David Gilmour Guitar Sound

I'm looking to get to the Pink Floyd's David Gilmour's sound.
He uses a Fender Strat and Big Muff (Ram's Head) in the 70's, anyone been able to get the sound of his solos on Comfortably Numb?
Old 30th November 2011, 08:21 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

As with all these types of questions, it's more down to the exceptional skill of the original player than what he used.
Old 30th November 2011, 08:32 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Get a nice overdrive sound, add a smidge of delay/reverb, cut down the upper treble (removes harshness usually associated with distortion, giving a smoother sound). Methinks that's close enough.

Also, +1 to what Nigel said.

Chris
Old 30th November 2011, 10:29 AM   #4
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

'guitar effects' on you tube

well, I found a good one, but it slipped
and now I cant find it again
not so easy at all

whatever, this looks cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BrN7...eature=related
Old 30th November 2011, 10:59 AM   #5
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

sorry, not a David Gilmore, but would be a shame to post this one

cute guitar player - YouTube

man, my ears are ringing now
Old 1st December 2011, 01:04 AM   #6
ChrisA is offline ChrisA  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmblack View Post
I'm looking to get to the Pink Floyd's David Gilmour's sound.
He uses a Fender Strat and Big Muff (Ram's Head) in the 70's, anyone been able to get the sound of his solos on Comfortably Numb?

I've seen some interviews with him. He can pretty much get his sound out of any random guitar he picks up. Some amps might have enough gain some need the boost pedal but I think his sound is in the way he bends strings. Most amps can be set to be clean and smooth get still high gain just to breaking

His style is such that every little mistake is noticeable so you have to be careful and and be good at muting strings. His tone is mostly in the fingers. But I can't do it at all so don't listen to what I say

Last edited by ChrisA; 1st December 2011 at 01:12 AM.
Old 1st December 2011, 08:13 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default Gilmourish

Read it all here. You should find what you are looking for...

Jaz
Old 1st December 2011, 09:05 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA View Post
I've seen some interviews with him. He can pretty much get his sound out of any random guitar he picks up. Some amps might have enough gain some need the boost pedal but I think his sound is in the way he bends strings.
Like I said, it's mostly in the skill of the player.

An ex-workmate, was (and is) a pretty good guitarist, and a friend of his (with more money than sense) bought a Genuine Les Paul, and a top of the range Marshall Combo. He wanted to sound like Jimmy Page on a specific track (I forget which track), and he was VERY disappointed in the sound he got.

My workmate mentioned to me that it was probably just because this guy only knew two chords, and wasn't very good at those

Last I heard the guy had orders in at a number of local music shops looking for the exact same amp that Jimmy Page used on the track, money no object!. I don't know if he ever found one, but I just know it wouldn't help him
Old 2nd December 2011, 08:03 PM   #9
tmblack is offline tmblack  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

No doubt Gilmour uses his fingers to do tremolo and bends but the effect boxes have to be there and getting the same pickups is important too. Its not that hard to sound like Pete Townsheld with a Gibson SG.

but Jimmy and Dave are some of the best players of all time and it would take a lot of work and talent to get close to them.
Old 2nd December 2011, 08:24 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmblack View Post
No doubt Gilmour uses his fingers to do tremolo and bends but the effect boxes have to be there and getting the same pickups is important too. Its not that hard to sound like Pete Townsheld with a Gibson SG.

but Jimmy and Dave are some of the best players of all time and it would take a lot of work and talent to get close to them.
I thought the gig they (Floyd) did the other year was great, not played together for decades (or even talked) and the performance was outstanding.

Hide this!Advertise here!