Guitar SE Amplifier with 6H - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th November 2011, 08:34 PM   #1
mahony is offline mahony  Cuba
diyAudio Member

Default Guitar SE Amplifier with 6H

Hello:

I would like to replace the 6v6 with a 6p1p in a champ, someone has done?, some schematic?

Best regards
Old 17th November 2011, 03:46 AM   #2
prelius is offline prelius  United States
diyAudio Member

6P1P is a tube that does not direct US equivalent, but it's characteristics are pretty much the same as US 6AQ5, which in turn, has the same specs as 6V6, so one can say is that 6P1P is a 9-pin equivalent of 6V6. In order to use it, you need to remove the octal socket, install a 9 pin socket and rewire it according to the datasheet. http://tubedata.milbert.com/sheets/113/6/6P1P.pdf. The procedure is rather simple, just make sure you look at the champ schematics and solder caps, resistors and heater to the correct pins on the socket. Beware, that the sound is quite different, though...
Old 17th November 2011, 04:00 AM   #3
ke4mcl is offline ke4mcl  United States
diyAudio Member

i am assuming getting parts is a problem considering your in cuba. the russian or chinese 6p6s will plug right in but is only rated for 250v on the plate i think. guitar amps tend to run high plate voltage. unless you bring down the plate voltage to 250 or less you may have trouble.

another option is use a loctal 7c5. it is same as 6v6 but just different base. the 7c5 may be found in old philco radios.
Old 17th November 2011, 04:06 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

The Champ uses some very high DC voltages for its output valve. Maybe a good test would be to make an adaptor from button base to octal socket and see how well it does. Could even have "flying leads" (wires between a socket and an old octal valve base).

All good fortune,
Chris
Old 17th November 2011, 04:22 AM   #5
chrish is offline chrish  Australia
diyAudio Member

You may also wish to try 6P3S. The regular version does not have the voltage capability of the sturdier 6P3S-E. I have blown a few 6P3S while using them to test a 6L6 amp I was building at 400 volts ultra linear, but the 6P3S-E were fine. I think I may recall the 6P3S being suitable as a 6V6 replacement and the 6P3S-E being more a 6L6 replacement. I have also built a push-pull guitar amp with the 6P6S as a 6V6 replacement. 6P6S states 250 volts for plate and screen, but the AX84 I built had about 385 volts on plates and screen and the 6P6S were fine.

Hope this is helpful and maybe give you some octal base equivalent in Soviet tubes.

Are you building one of these or just replacing tubes in an existing amp?

Cheers,

Chris
Old 17th November 2011, 02:38 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I give thanks to all you for their kind answers.
All that you put me is correct and I know it
I leave of zero and I can make a transformer of power for 240-250v cd for the plate of 6p1p, I asked to you for some schematic to go to the insurance, because I would have to bising the valves too, I have several 6P1P and several 6H2N that I wanted to use and to know that such they sound.
In short, I want to make a "champ" with these valves and maybe already somebody had made it, or some experience with these tubes in SE amplifier.
thaks again

mahony
Old 17th November 2011, 05:17 PM   #7
ke4mcl is offline ke4mcl  United States
diyAudio Member

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/1921/svenpp2110.jpg

found that right here in diyaudio. modify to remove ultralinear wiring and it might make a decent guitar amp but its not SE.
Old 17th November 2011, 05:25 PM   #8
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Moving to Instruments and Amps per forum policy..

Mahoney welcome to the forum..

I think your idea to make a Champ clone with the 6P1P should be interesting and you can make the power transformer to suit the lower plate rating of the tubes you have on hand. Will probably sound a bit different than an actual Champ, but it might work quite well. Just don't make the OPT too good..
Old 17th November 2011, 10:25 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I' sory , I am new in the forum and not know the rules yet, Ke4mcl thanks for the schematic it gives me some idea on and biasing.

I have the 12ax7 and the 6v6, but I have many Russian tubes I will experience with them and that better than a champ for this!!??,

I make the new modification of the schematic and the layout too, now mount it to adjust the biasing with the new voltages.
dont worry the OTP is not made by my!!! 5000/8-4 approx 7 watts, I think that this well. when I finish it I will comment the results.

thanks

mahony
Old 18th November 2011, 01:57 AM   #10
chrish is offline chrish  Australia
diyAudio Member

I did a google search of '6P1P 6N2P champ' and it looks like a few people have already done this (6N2P I think is the english equivalent of 6H2N). Hope that helps some.

Hide this!Advertise here!