Output transformer for 18watt - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th November 2011, 07:36 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Output transformer for 18watt

Hi. Im building my third amp. An 18 watt clone, based on the layout from ceriatone:

http://ceriatone.com/images/layoutPi...Wceriatone.jpg

The OT wires on the layout are blue, red and brown! The blue and brown wires goes to the powertubes, and the red one goes to the big cap.

Well, My OT has brown, red and white wires? (IGOT-M18R)

The brown is B+ according to the datasheet, and the red and white are anodes?

My guess is that Im supposed to solder the brown wire to the cap, and the two anodes to the powertubes.

But the colours have me a bit bit confused, and the technology og the output transformer in apparantly a bit out of my league?

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance
-Kasper
Old 8th November 2011, 07:51 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to DigitalJunkie
Your guess is correct. Follow the OT datasheet. Brown to B+ and Red/White to the anodes.
Old 8th November 2011, 07:52 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks a lot
Old 8th November 2011, 07:54 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Where did you buy the transformer? Can you direct us to the data sheet?. I would not guess the same as you, in fact I would assume that the red was still the center tap of the primary of the output transformer and therefore should go to the cap. If you have an ohmeter you should be able to measure the transformer primary and at least decide which is the center tap. This could be be kind exciting if you get it wrong. If you get the two other wires on the wrong tube it will not go boom, so you need to find the center tap.
Also Ceriatone does not provide schematics which is I believe a busness decision. A very good learning assignment for you would be to sit down and draw the schematic from the layout. Or perhaps someone else has it posted online.
Old 8th November 2011, 07:55 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Digital Junkie you sure?
Old 8th November 2011, 07:59 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to DigitalJunkie
Quote:
The brown is B+ according to the datasheet, and the red and white are anodes?

If that's what the datasheet for the output transformer states,that's what I'd go with. Double check the DC resistance with a DMM to make sure.
Old 8th November 2011, 08:00 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Well i bought it from
http://www.tube-town.net/ttstore/product_info.php/language/en/info/p5013_IGPW-Marshall--18-Watt-Ausgangsuebertrager.html

The sad thing is that I cant seem to find a datasheet on the internet. But the Trafo came with a piece of paper that explained the wires, as described in my first post.
The brown is in the center of the diagram primary winding, and is called "B+". The red and white are the two "outer" wires in the diagram, and they are called anodes.
Old 8th November 2011, 08:01 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I have an ohmmeter by the way. What do I measure? Hate being such a beginner at this
Old 8th November 2011, 08:22 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Set to ohms. This is going to be very low resistance so just clip the leads together and make note of how close your meter reads to zero ohms. Most of the time it will be like a couple of ohms because of the lead resistance. Then go between any two of the primary leads. The resistance between the center tap and either of the two outside leads should be 1/2 of the resistance between the two outside leads. Does that make sence?
Old 8th November 2011, 08:29 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

It makes perfectly sense

Hide this!Advertise here!