diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Instruments and Amps (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/instruments-amps/)
-   -   Class D amps vs Valve amps? (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/instruments-amps/199181-class-d-amps-vs-valve-amps.html)

eem2am 24th October 2011 08:16 PM

Class D amps vs Valve amps?

No other Guitar amplifier technology can compete with a valve amplifier.

The richly harmonic sound of a valve guitar amp in overdrive cannot be imitated by a class D guitar amplifier.

So why are people bothering to make class D guitar amplifiers?

firechief 24th October 2011 08:39 PM

Class D amps are cheap, powerfull, efficient and have their place in the world. I mean if you are talking bass amp, its the logical choice. Some argue that solid state amps are more rugged.

Saturnus 24th October 2011 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eem2am (Post 2757164)
No other Guitar amplifier technology can compete with a valve amplifier.

The richly harmonic sound of a valve guitar amp in overdrive cannot be imitated by a class D guitar amplifier.

Are you just trolling the boards? Do you even know what a guitar amps is?

The point is that a guitar amp is not a loudspeaker and amplifier in one cabinet, it's part of an instrument including the guitar itself and effects. Class D amps can be the best choice for a guitar amp depending on the sound you want to achieve. And especially in bass guitar amps that require higher power levels they're generally much better suited than valve amps.

kevinkr 24th October 2011 09:33 PM

Given the topic relates to class D amplifier use in guitar amplifiers would this topic be better off in Instruments and Amplifiers? I think it might get a lot more action there. Anyone feel strongly it should (not) be there let me know.

nigelwright7557 24th October 2011 09:33 PM

Quote:

Becasue valve amps are so expensive.

kevinkr 24th October 2011 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nigelwright7557 (Post 2757275)
Becasue valve amps are so expensive.

And because little, efficient amplifiers have a place in MI?

nigelwright7557 24th October 2011 09:36 PM

I use a soft limiter in conjunction with my class d amd and it sounds very much like a valve amp.

elevator 24th October 2011 09:38 PM

Quote:

Because people like them?

nigelwright7557 24th October 2011 09:39 PM

Class d amps are a little cheaper to make too. Smaller heatsink and dont require as much power for the same output.

eem2am 24th October 2011 10:28 PM

I agree Class D is cheaper and more efficient.

But then, given this, why are most guitar amplifier companies still making more Valve guitar amplifiers.?

It is because the Valve sound is necessary for the best quality guitar amplifier sound.