wicker grill material? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th October 2011, 01:19 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default wicker grill material?

I'm planning to build a couple new speaker cabs. I've seen pics of cabs with wicker or woven cane grills. I love the look of a medium brown stained cab with blond wicker grill. Anyone know where I can buy that material by the yard?
Old 19th October 2011, 02:39 AM   #2
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

Look for "cane". Chair seats need to be re-caned every so often.

Google "cane weaving." That will get you there. I even see a how to do it video listed on the first page of results. Craft/hobby stores probably have it. Stores that sell materials for upholstery should have it or be able to refer you. I don't know if they sell it by the yard, or by weight, but you'll find out.

And I agree, it is very attractive. Those Mesa Boogie combos with the nice stained wood cabinets and cane speaker grilles were really attractive. Haven't seen one in a while, more of an 80s thing.

Google "cane grille cloth" too. Weaving is a lot of work, so you can buy it already woven. But then you don;t get the satisfaction.

Scan down to post #6 here fo a nice photo
Mesa Wicker Grille Cloth - The Gear Page
Old 19th October 2011, 03:38 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I've run across a few vendors that sell it, but can't be more specific with names or URLs.

Some were guitar amp kit guys, and some were radio restoration hobbyists. Try some google action with search words appropriate to those topics, They're out there for sure though.

Some keywords could include "Fender" "Marshall"
'Crosley" etc.
" ... Go back to the beginning of a technology before the priesthood was established; that was the time when people were communicating information, not proving why there needs to be Priests. This is why the old texts tend to be so good. ..."

Last edited by Johnny2Bad; 19th October 2011 at 03:40 AM.
Old 20th October 2011, 02:19 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the info. After I posted I did a little more searching. "pre-woven cane seat" did the trick. I found this: Country Seat - Superfine Open (3/8" Mesh). I think the 3/8" mesh will be perfect. It's not too awful expensive either. Thanks again!
Old 20th October 2011, 01:06 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

SOunds a lot easier than weaving your own. Watch the overall dimensions, make sure that pre-woven seat mesh is large enough to cover your entire area, with extra on the edges to wrap around whatever it is mounted to.
Old 21st October 2011, 11:01 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I like the looks of this stuff too, but...I believe at higher volume levels it will rattle. E
Old 22nd October 2011, 12:50 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

No more so than any other grille cloth. Aside from chair bottoms, they do make the stuff commercially for this very purpose. And those Mesa amps had no rattle issues.
Old 22nd October 2011, 01:01 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Do you know if the mesa cabs used real cane or was it some kind of vinyl look-alike? I can imagine that wood fiber could potentially be noisier. I'll have to be sure there's nothing for the grill to rattle against.
Old 22nd October 2011, 01:27 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Lee Valley sells it. They have been great to deal with from my experience.
Pre-Woven Cane - Lee Valley Tools

dan

Hide this!Advertise here!