Good starting gain for an instrument preamp input stage--do I have this right? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th October 2011, 05:24 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Good starting gain for an instrument preamp input stage--do I have this right?

I'm building up a couple of AMB's a20 discrete line stage amps as input stages for a "boutique-ish" stereo instrument preamp I'm working on:

The alpha20 Line Stage Amplifier

They're configurable gain from unity to 20.

Specifically, my NS/Stick uses EMG FT active pickups, which output .52V RMS, .75V Peak, according to the specs:

EMG Pickup Specs

I thought I'd like to run the internals of the preamp at a nominal +4 dBu level, 1.228V nominal or 1.737V peak (I run pro-referenced power amps).

This suggests a gain of about 7 whether I calculate from nominal or peak levels. Does this sound normal for an instrument preamp?
Old 10th October 2011, 11:02 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I get voltage gain of 2.5 which seems to be within spec. What is an NS/Stick EMG FT active pickup? My moving magnet phone cartridge, or "pickup" puts out about 25 mv.
Old 11th October 2011, 12:03 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianajo View Post
I get voltage gain of 2.5 which seems to be within spec. What is an NS/Stick EMG FT active pickup? My moving magnet phone cartridge, or "pickup" puts out about 25 mv.
The "NS/Stick" is a multi-mode tapping instrument created by Emmett Chapman and Ned Steinberger:

www.stick.com - NS/Stick

The EMG FT's are active stacked humbuckers:

www.stick.com - NS/Stick - Electronics

Quote:
I get voltage gain of 2.5 which seems to be within spec.
Thanks! See..that's what I get for "cheaping out" on my math (in my case misusing an online calculator).

Actually doing the math I ended up with similar values.

Hide this!Advertise here!