peavey 5150/6505/6505+ HT - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th October 2011, 11:57 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default peavey 5150/6505/6505+ HT

Hello there,

I dont suppose anyone knows the HT voltages a=in a peavey the stated peavey amps? it would be helpful and much appreciated if you could give a HT for each stage (preamp 1, 2, 3, 6l6g2, 6l6a). ive checked schematics and they dont say alot. and i dont know anyone with one that would let me check.

Thanks
Old 8th October 2011, 01:25 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Do you have a faulty one?, if so what's the problem? - the most common problem with valve amps are the anode loads of the triodes going high.
Old 8th October 2011, 05:12 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

You can look at the tube datasheets on triodeelectronics.com for max plate voltage (anode). Then make sure yours are less. Usually amps with tube input and drivers have uniformly increasing plate voltage from the input tubes to the output. The usual scenario is for the HV cap to get leaky somewhere about 20 years, and the big resistors drop too much. More rarely, a tube gets gassy or the bias voltage gets off, and the high voltage supply is okay, but the plate resistor drops too much.

Last edited by indianajo; 8th October 2011 at 05:17 PM.
Old 8th October 2011, 08:31 PM   #4
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

It is a commercial amp of which they have made thousands and thousands. The voltages won;t be too high for the tubes.

Typical Peavey 6L6 100 watt amp voltages will be like most similar amps. SOmething in the 480-500v range would be common on the plate node. Screens would be a few volts less, and the preamp nodes somewhere in the 300-350 range I'd expect.

A rule of thumb is about a milliamp or so for each 12AX7 triode. Calculate the3 total current through a B+ node and you will have an idea of the voltage dropped across the node resistor.

My shop has been an authorized repair shop for Peavey and fender and many others for 25 years or so, and I don't recall really needing a voltage chart. If a preamp triode is not conducting, the plate voltage will swing up to the supply voltage - Ohm's Law. Otherwise, the plate ought to be somewhere in the middle compared to the B+ there. SO if the plate voltage is really high, it usually just means the tube is not working or the cathode leg is open.
Old 9th October 2011, 11:36 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

i dont have one for it to be faulty! i wanted to build a preamp similar, but i wanted a rough idea of what the HT voltages would be. i know the main bulk of the preamp is the same as an SLO, but its the extra stages on the end of it that interest me, (also completely unrelated to the problem, i felt like haveing a go at building it point to point on tagstrip in a small of a space as possible )
Old 9th October 2011, 01:05 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorrick1293 View Post
i dont have one for it to be faulty! i wanted to build a preamp similar, but i wanted a rough idea of what the HT voltages would be. i know the main bulk of the preamp is the same as an SLO, but its the extra stages on the end of it that interest me, (also completely unrelated to the problem, i felt like haveing a go at building it point to point on tagstrip in a small of a space as possible )
Look for 200-250V feeding the preamp, the actual anode voltages will be much less due to the voltage drop across the load resistors.
Old 9th October 2011, 01:25 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Goodwin View Post
Look for 200-250V feeding the preamp, the actual anode voltages will be much less due to the voltage drop across the load resistors.
really? isnt that a bit low? i expected more, but if thats the case thats perfect!
Old 9th October 2011, 04:57 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorrick1293 View Post
really? isnt that a bit low? i expected more, but if thats the case thats perfect!
That's all you need for the preamps and many amps probably run lower than that, anode voltages tend to by 60V - 150V or so.

Have alook at this Marshall example:

http://www.drtube.com/schematics/marshall/2204u.gif

It's really VERY, VERY non-critical.

Hide this!Advertise here!