Guitar speaker cabinet plans? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th October 2011, 09:18 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question Guitar speaker cabinet plans?

Hello, I searched around on these forums a bit but couldn't find what I was looking for, so I'll just ask!

Anyone have plans for a 4x12 straight cabinet? A few details: my guitar is a seven string, tuned down to GCGCFAD, I believe that low G is G1, so 49 Hz. Cab should be suitable for clean, crunch, rhythm, and lead. I plan on using either 4x G12K85/100s or 2x G12K85/100s and 2xV30s, but if you think any other kinds of speakers would work better, I'm totally open to suggestions.

*Should the cabinet be ported or have a horn? I would like to cabinet to be on the smaller size, so if I want the bass response that I need, I figure I could port it or use a horn? Opinions on that?

*I would like to build the cab into a road case, like this cab:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3651/...082bbf74_o.jpg
Any idea how to do that? Any plans would be great! Thanks!
Old 6th October 2011, 10:30 AM   #2
Bone is offline Bone  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

You might get more response from here < Speakerplans.com Forums >
Old 6th October 2011, 11:31 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

You won't need a high frequency horn if you stick to guitar speakers.

The short answer is, "Ports don't work for guitar speakers."

The longer answer depends on the individual speaker, but there's the rub. If you port a guitar cabinet, you're rather limited in speaker choices, as few have a low enough Qts, and not many of those are similar enough to be substituted for each other. (Don't be fooled by what you read on the internet, as most guitar cabs that have ports have them for cosmetic reasons. Of course you can swap speakers freely when the ports aren't tuned.)

The best way to get more bass in a 4x12 is make it a little deeper.

To make a road case, just build a box and make a cover for it. Double walls aren't needed (and will reduce the "liveliness"), simply brace the corners really well because that's where dropped boxes come apart.
This company (among others of course) has the hardware:
Speaker Builder's Supply Home Page

The industry standard is Penn-Elcom. It's worth shopping around, but shipping will eat the savings if you use too many sources.

As to speakers, you should first look at this:
TSC

Now that you realise guitar amps have a huge bass boost built in, you can relax about trying get your cab to actually go to 49Hz. 65Hz should be enough to give you a good thump. Myself, I'm fond of Warehouse Speakers: Warehouse Guitar Speakers | Warehouse Guitar Speakers Their Reaper 55 goes very low, and has a classic (think Hendrix) sound. For something more modern, I like the Retro 30 which is a 'better' V30. The ET 65s are also recommended for bass, but I haven't tried them so I can't tell you if the bass is low, or just loud. The new Liberator might even be better.

HTH, Keri
Old 6th October 2011, 11:44 PM   #4
djfrizz is offline djfrizz  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Guitar speaker cabinet plans?

Try looking at Bill Fitzmaurice's site. A lot of what he has is PA-related. There is a plan (for a price) for a 2x12 or 2x10 speaker cab. The speaker baffles are aimed inward toward one another and are also aimed a slight degree upward toward the musician. I believe it said that a 4x12 or 10 box can also be made.
Old 7th October 2011, 11:54 PM   #5
ChrisA is offline ChrisA  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foul_owl View Post
...A few details: my guitar is a seven string, tuned down to GCGCFAD, I believe that low G is G1, so 49 Hz. Cab should be suitable for clean, crunch, rhythm, and lead....

That 7th string makes it hard. People who say you don't need a ported cab for guitar are right but you have a hybrid guitar/bass. I don't know any guitar speakers that go so low. I think you are looking at a bass cab that can also go high. I'd go for some bass drivers and yes, maybe a horn. I think what you might end up with will look like a typical PA speaker.

maybe a 4x10 ported cab with a horn. Do you actually play the low open G? Have you gone to Guitar center and tried out some bass cabs?
Old 8th October 2011, 12:21 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

A 4 by 12 inch is quite big.
I built one many years ago and ended up splitting it into 2 off 2 by 12inch so it was easily portable.

You could go for a 2 by 12 inch plus a 1 by 18 inch for the bass.
Old 8th October 2011, 12:25 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

I have asked around a bit on sevenstring.org forums, and they have recommended those two speaker types I am using. I have used both types a bit and am happy with the results.

I have two G12K100s in a ported 2x12 that sounds pretty damn good. If I build this new cab with ports, I can always plug em if it doesn't sound good, right? Same with a tweeter right, I can always just remove it and plug the hole? This seems like it would be sort of a hybrid PA/guitar/bass cab.

Mainly I just need help with the physical construction of the cab. Like some sort of step by step with pictures.

I found this:
Fuzzcraft.com | How to build a flightcase or road case | Photography, audio and light DIY projects

Which seems to have all the parts I will need to make it into a flight case. The only thing I am wondering about are the side panels. Standard flight cases use a sort of plastic material that I would like to use for this cab. It was not listed on the above link, as the author just painted the wood on the sides. Any idea what this stuff is called? Is it just the prelaminated wood he was talking about? I was thinking it was just like a plastic sheet you glue to the sides of the cab.

TL;DR: I need help with four things: port size and location (including options to plug the vents if needed), picking a good horn (or two for stereo operation) as this is for a high gain amplifier, and I'm not sure how much distortion horns are designed to handle, cabinet dimensions (with port, with horn, with both and without both), and sourcing whatever the black plastic paneling is that is used on flight cases. I may or may not use a horn or ports or both.

Thanks!

Last edited by foul_owl; 8th October 2011 at 12:51 AM.
Old 8th October 2011, 01:01 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Also, I would be curious to try an open back cab, since my goal here is frequency response, not volume. Driven by a 120 watt tube amp, this cab should be plenty loud enough.
Old 8th October 2011, 01:33 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

My recommendation would be to copy the Hendrix model Marshall 4x12 bottom, which is still sealed but a bit larger than the standard Marshall 4x12 and has more bass output. I would recommend against going 4x12 ported. It's guitar, you should be looking for tone.
Old 8th October 2011, 02:31 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadbelly View Post
My recommendation would be to copy the Hendrix model Marshall 4x12 bottom, which is still sealed but a bit larger than the standard Marshall 4x12 and has more bass output. I would recommend against going 4x12 ported. It's guitar, you should be looking for tone.
Alright, sweet! I'll look for the dimensions on that. I certainly am going for tone& frequency response over volume. Ported or with tweeter takes away from tone and frequency response?

Hide this!Advertise here!