Bad solder joints in Fender Deluxe VM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just picked up a Fender Deluxe VM. It's a great amp but mine had a problem which I thought I would share just in case you run into one of these.

In my case, the overdrive channel occasionally became very noisy and the gain would drop out. It would still make a lot of noise even with the volume controls turned down completely. Tapping on the unit would make the noise change. Something was intermittent.

The clean channel made no noise. It worked perfectly.

I decided to isolate the circuit causing the noise as much as I could. I discovered that, if I plugged into the "Return" jack, the noise went away. So, I had the noise problem isolated to a small area of the circuit -- somewhere between the overdrive volume control and the "Return" jack.

I opened the unit and probed around. I found an IC U4 sensitive to pressure. Sure enough, this IC was in the circuit that I had already narrowed down. A close inspection revealed bad solder joints on the IC. It appears that there wasn't even a pad for one of the pins. I'm not sure if that was supposed to be like that or not. You could see that the solder on the adjacent pin had not flowed properly.

I reflowed the solder joints and now the amp works perfectly.
Here is a look at the circuit board prior to repair.

Attachments

• IMG_1507s.jpg
    IMG_1507s.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 188
Bad day at the factory! lol. Listen to bigwill if you got it apart reflow as many joints as possible because you might not be able to see a cold solder joint. It be fine now but with time, heat, and vibration you can bet on another failing. I have pulled my hair out trying to fix noise problems because of faulty connections/pcb boards.

Fender Deluxe VM

I had the same noise issues with my Fender Deluxe VM. I tried re-flowing the power tube solder joints but that didn't seem to solve the problem. The solder joints on IC U4 looked OK with the exception of one pin. I re-flowed all of them and now it appears that the problem is gone. I will keep my fingers crossed!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.