Footswitch for Ibanez Promethean

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I can't find a schematic for the footswitch that works with the P500H bass amp. When I plug a 1/4" TRS - 1/4" TRS cable into the footswitch jack there is 14.6 VDC across tip and sleeve and 14.6 VDC across ring and sleeve.

I tried a Traynor switch (similar to the Apex AFS2) and no score. The Traynor switch allows either open or closed circuit across tip/sleeve and ring/sleeve depending on whether the individual switches are open or closed.

Can anyone let me know the footswitch requirements for this amp? Many thanks!

Thanks for the reply.

One side of the switch turns the mute on and off and the other side turns the vibe effect on and off. The Ibanez IFS2X footswitch has two switches. Shorting tip to sleeve or ring to sleeve does nothing, no matter if I do it with my Traynor switch (described above) or with a piece of wire.

Thats strange , most footswitches that I have used either had a single/dual switch that would short the tip and/or ring to sleeve and/or unshort them .....

I don"t see any other way to controll the functions unless the switching circuitry is inside the Ibanez footswitch ......

Sorry I can"t help ya , im stumped ......

maybe contact ibanez and order it from them or ask for a schematic ??

Behringer use momentary contact switches in their footswitches, perhaps this is the same? - there really aren't very many options for a dual footswitch using a stereo jack plug.

I would suggest getting a stereo jack to jack lead, and momentarily shorting sleeve to tip, and then sleeve to ring, and see what happens?. Does the amp have LED's on the front to show what mode it's set to? - I've just downloaded the manual, and yes it does.

Thanks Nigel. Here is everything I have tried so far.

Initial settings:

• Nothing connected to footswitch jack on bass amp
• Mute switch set to On; Mute indicator lamp is lit
• Vibe switch set to On: Vibe indicator lamp is lit

Next step:

• Plug stereo 1/4" to 1/4" cable into footswitch jack on bass amp
• Ensure that the other end of the cable is not connected to anything
• When plug is inserted into footswitch jack, the Mute and Vibe lamps are extinguished
• Mute switch and Vibe switch have no effect when plug is inserted into the footswitch jack.

Third step:

• Use ohmmeter to ensure that both sides of the Traynor AFS2 footswitch are closed (resistance is less than 1 ohm)
• Connect footswitch to footswitch jack (one end of 1/4" to 1/4" cable into jack on amp, other end into jack on switch)
• In this scenario both the Mute and the Vibe lamp remain lit.
• Toggling the individual footswitches illuminates the individual LEDs on the footswitch but has no effect on the amplifier.

Fourth step:

• Plug stereo 1/4" to 1/4" cable into footswitch jack on bass amp
• Ensure that the other end of the cable is not connected to anything
• On the free end of the cable, short sleeve to tip using a short test lead. The Mute lamp comes on and stays on until the test lead is removed.
• On the free end of the cable, short sleeve to ring using a short test lead. The Vibe lamp comes on and stays on until the test lead is removed.

Conclusion:

The requirements for the footswitch for this amp are simple. The footswitch can consist of two latching SPST switches and a length of mic cable (two conductors plus ground/shield) terminated with a stereo 1/4" phone plug.

Question:

The Traynor AFS2 footswitch seems to meet the above requirements. Why doesn't it work with this Ibanez head? I have emailed Traynor and asked for a schematic for their footswitch. Maybe this will make more sense tomorrow.

Instead of the schematic for the footswitch - which may not even be published anyway - ask for the schematic to the amp itself. Then we can look at the circuit and determine its needs.

One thing comes to mind - panel switches. On many amps, the panel switches must be in a certain position for the footswitch to work. For example if the panel switch is in series with the footswitch jack. Perhaps putting the panel switches to the alternate setting might make a difference?

Or consider the possibility that the switching circuits are based upon some CMOS ICs, one having become defective. In that case, even the correct footswitch might not work. The problem being inside the amp.

And seems unlikely, but what if the switching circuit is in some way like the arrangment in recent Fender amps? In those, the footswitch is not a simple switch closure completing a circuit, it is diodes/LEDs and zeners feeding into comparator circuits. Without the correct diode/LED in the footswitch, those Fenders will not work right.

Just food for thought.

After an email exchange with Mike Holman at Yorkville Sound (fantastic person -- very helpful and supportive) I have this thing figured out. The Traynor footswitch has an LED across each pushbutton switch. I snipped one side of each LED and now the footswitch works with the Ibanez head AND it still works with the Yorkville head.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.