speaker recommedations - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th August 2011, 11:23 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default speaker recommedations

Hi all,

I'm building my son a 2W tube head amp for home playing (12AX7, ECC99)
He is playing a Squier Strat

Looking for a high sensitivities single inexpensive speaker (it will be an open cab)

Any recommendations please?

Thanks
IK
Old 29th August 2011, 02:08 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

The obvious choices are Celestion for a British sound, and Jensen for an "American" tone, but there are several good makers these days who actually make speakers in America instead of import them, and who charge less than the imported "name" brands. Eminence, Weber, and WGS all make excellent, yet inexpensive, guitar speakers.

I'd probably recommend this guy:

10? G10C - 75 watts | Warehouse Guitar Speakers

Looking on the "Dealers" page, I see WGS has distributors in Northern Europe, not sure how availability is in your area.
Old 29th August 2011, 09:47 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Look for a small guitar speaker on sale such as this one: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=299-200

Alternatively, consider a vintage alnico driver such as a 6x9, 8, 10 or 12 inch paper cone console or movie projector driver on eBay or other auction sites.

These small tube practice amps can have great tone.

Regards,

Bob
Old 30th August 2011, 03:11 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

thanks for that!

Would you guys recommend 10" drivers as best size?
(BTY-the G10C page doesn't give the sensetivitie of the speaker)

thanks
IK
Old 30th August 2011, 05:19 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I think the website says 'spl 99 db', probably indicating that it is 99 db/w/m.

A 10 inch driver is a good size, but 8 - 12 inch is fine. For a 2w amp you don't need to be concerned with the power handing capability of the driver. Most any of them will be adequate. Primarily you are interested in the desired tone and spl needs. You want to consider drivers rated fairly low power so that the cone will break up within the power range of the amp. A wide range, 8 - 12 inch driver with a light paper cone, max power rating of 10-15w and sensitivity of 93 db/w/m or more will do nicely (with a 2w amp, the more the better, provided the tone is good). These used to be common, but are now only popular with guitarists. Weber (among others) makes these at quite reasonable prices (https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/). There is no sense in spending money on a high power driver for a 2w amp.

If expense is an issue, consider the Peavey driver currently on sale, or a vintage driver on one of the popular auction websites. You should be able to get a very nice driver from one of these sites for about $45 shipped.

Good luck,

Bob
Old 30th August 2011, 05:56 PM   #6
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

Celestion drivers in EU
scroll down to guitar speakers

Blue Aran - Professional Sound and Lighting
Old 31st August 2011, 12:55 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

I have the Veteran 10", it is a medium efficiency speaker with a really nice sound. Nice top end and great on transits. Nice breakup, it even made a transistor amp sound good. A great home speaker but you may need a couple to play out with. I would go wit a 10" or a 12" just a lot more sound than a 8".

10" Veteran - 20 Watts | Warehouse Guitar Speakers
Also have the ET65, another good speaker but one that is more tighter in that the cone is beefier and the suspension is more dampened.
12" ET65 - 65 Watts | Warehouse Guitar Speakers

Heard good things about the G10C, probably will pick one up once I get some of my projects further along. Just not sure which amp to match it to yet.

At some point in time he will want to move up to a bigger amp, A 15-20W will take him far, not a bad idea to buy a speaker that can handle at least this. With that in mind the G10C is loud enough to handle a band situation.
Old 31st August 2011, 02:04 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I'd suggest looking for either a vintage alnico speaker used, or get a Jensen Mod series - maybe the 10-35. That one runs about $35 new and should sound fine. I know small amps tend to be used with small speakers (like 8") in Champs, but they sound great with larger cone speakers in medium sized cabs.
Old 31st August 2011, 02:32 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racket Scientist View Post
I'd suggest looking for either a vintage alnico speaker used, or get a Jensen Mod series - maybe the 10-35. That one runs about $35 new and should sound fine. I know small amps tend to be used with small speakers (like 8") in Champs, but they sound great with larger cone speakers in medium sized cabs.
Strongly agree with both suggestions (Jensen Mod Series and larger drivers). The best sound I have heard from a Champ was with a 12 inch alnico console driver (a copy or OEM of a Jensen P12R). Incredible tone and really loud too - nearly rock concert volume in the living room from an SE 6V6.

Regards,

Bob
Old 2nd September 2011, 10:32 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

thank you all for your valuable advise!

It looks like its going to be a Jensen Mod series - 10-35 ($35 inc shipping)

Would 16 ohms imp. be a better choice than 8 ohms ? just wanting to be sure.

Cheers
IK

Hide this!Advertise here!