Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th August 2011, 09:05 PM   #1
dobias is offline dobias  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Need help selecting a Bass Guitar amplifier

I have an inkling about what makes tubed (SET) amplifiers sound good, but I've been thrown a curve to select a tubed or SS amp & speaker for my talented grand daughter & her Bass Guitar. I'm open to refurbishing/rebuilding or just shopping for one on eBay that's suitable.
Any advise would be appreciated.
Frank
Old 14th August 2011, 09:08 PM   #2
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator

yeah
a nice 'modest' SS combo

she willl need something portable and easy to connect
Old 15th August 2011, 12:17 AM   #3
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator

these combos looks great Bass Central - Line 6 Amps, Cabs, and Combos

and they have some great looking Orange combos too

or one of the small Ampeg combos
Old 15th August 2011, 04:28 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobias View Post
I have an inkling about what makes tubed (SET) amplifiers sound good, but I've been thrown a curve to select a tubed or SS amp & speaker for my talented grand daughter & her Bass Guitar. I'm open to refurbishing/rebuilding or just shopping for one on eBay that's suitable.
Any advise would be appreciated.
Frank
Guitarists like tube amps for their distortion, bass players don't usually want distortion, so a transistor amp is probably better.

I wouldn't consider a tube bass amp, too heavy, too expensive, too unreliable and all for no advantage.

I bought my daughter a Behringer BX1200, it's been great - it's been used a number of times at multi-band gigs - and everyone has loved it.
Old 16th August 2011, 12:16 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

More information about your granddaughter would be helpful - age, gear, genre, venues....

But I'm guessing she would be best served by a Peavy combo of the appropriate size. They range from little 10" practice amps to 15" monsters that can keep up with a drummer. Good sound (old school, like an Ampeg), very reliable, good resale. Hard to beat for the money.

Since you're on this forum, you might be tempted by this:
fEARful™ enclosures for bass/drums/keys
Old 16th August 2011, 12:56 PM   #6
dobias is offline dobias  United States
diyAudio Member

Keriwena,
I know I'll sound like a doting grandfather, but, she's a 16 year old prodigy. She's in the school band & will be playing at the next Macy's parade. She prefers to write her own music, play & record the keyboard, drums, bass guitar & wind instruments. She then mixes them into her own CDs.
I would think she would need a combo, or separates, that could keep up with other Rock band members' equipment.
Frank
Old 16th August 2011, 12:57 PM   #7
kec is offline kec  United States
diyAudio Member

I just got an Acoustic B20 from Guitar Center. It has a 12" driver, fairly small but loud amp.

Acoustic B20 1X12 Bass Combo Amplifier and more Bass Amplifiers at GuitarCenter.com.
Old 16th August 2011, 05:58 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Can't beat a small Peavey,great for practice and even on Stage! They can do the job no problem.
Old 16th August 2011, 06:29 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

my bass amplifier has both fet and tube option .I never use the fets , annoying metalic thin sound , so i can only recomend a tube amp.10 years ago the best amps i heard where SWR , better than Ampeg , peavey and so on...but they might be too expensive.Tube works had some cheap and good sounding tube amps , they where bought by Genz Benz.

Genz Benz Amplifiers - Guitar Amplification, Acoustic Amplification, Bass Amplification, Guitar Enclosures, Bass Enclosures & More
Old 16th August 2011, 10:30 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobias View Post
Keriwena,
I would think she would need a combo, or separates, that could keep up with other Rock band members' equipment.
Frank
Okay, then you need to find out what that level is. How many amps, how loud they play (which is often influenced by the drummer), and whether they run the bass through the PA.

I'm on the small side myself, and I'd prefer a separate head with a cab as big as a 1x15. Below size that a combo would work, but a 1x12 won't keep up with an enthusiastic band.

Hide this!Advertise here!