Transistor exchange?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Take a look at the data sheets for the 2N3904 and the 2N5088 and see what matches and what doesn't. Probably the most important thing is the beta/hfe.. Note that the 2N3904 is readily and very cheaply available in a variety of packages for the off chance that the 2N5088 does not work satisfactorily. Noting that the hfe of the '88 is a great deal higher, were it me I would stick to the 3904....

http://www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/2N/2N5088.pdf

http://www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/2N/2N3904.pdf

According to the schematic at < http://www.montagar.com/~patj/soulprch.gif >, it looks like 2 of those transistors are being used as capacitor-multiplier power rail filter, and rail splitter. Those are potentially places where the higher current rating of the '3904 is required. (Just eyeballing the schematic for 10 seconds it looks like your '5088 will be OK, but a good SPICE simulation will give you a better idea of what is actually required.)

Nothing in the rest of the circuit looks especially stressful.

If the '5088's don't blow up, and don't run too hot, they're probably quite acceptable.

But, like Kevin says, since you can get '3904's for a few pennies each . . . why would you want to use your '5088's?

Dale

Layout and power supply quality come into effect with some of the faster opamps like the OPA. You can run into oscillation and noise problems if everything is up to snuff.

For an effects unit I'd probably just use the 4580, TL072 (jfet), or a regular NE5532. No reason to use an expensive OPA for these types of circuits.

Layout and power supply quality come into effect with some of the faster opamps like the OPA. You can run into oscillation and noise problems if everything is up to snuff.

For an effects unit I'd probably just use the 4580, TL072 (jfet), or a regular NE5532. No reason to use an expensive OPA for these types of circuits.

It's quite an old thread, but if anyone can answer - what kind of FET transistor is used here?

Most any Nch FET will do, the circuit is very crude and does not even have adjustable biasing.
Such as: J111/112/113 BF256 2N5486/57/58

Search Mouser for "nch FET TO92 stocked"

No need for the high gain (more expensive ) J201, etc. which are used in preamps, this one is used as an attenuator.

Download the datasheets and pay attention to pinouts, they change.

Any general purpose TO92 PNP will do.

FWIW Elektor Magazine does not print specific transistor or diode model numbers in their schematics, unless *really* needed, most often not, but refer to them by : TUN (transistor universal NPN) , TUP ( idem PNP), DUS (diode universal Silicon), DUG (idem Germanium) and so on names.
Which mean many parts matching very generic parameters will work the same, in practice.
Here is one table with European transistors, but any American or Japanese one which fits the basic specs will work:
TUP, TUN, DUS, DUG

Personally I only stock:
BC547/557 for most uses up to 45V.
2N5401/5551 for voltages up to 120V
The odd MPSA42/52 for the extremely rare case when they must stand more than 120V (I bought 20 of each one some 10 years ago and only used a couple so far)

Same with Op Amps, stock TL071/72/74 for *anything* , plus some TL062 for low current 9V battery powered active preamps, and LM358 for some "instrumentation" (measurement) circuits.

The beauty of SS is that many parts are universal or easy to replace.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.